thirty-seven

Peeling Back a Layer

The door to my room swung open and rattled on its hinges as it hit the wall with a terrifying bang. I would have been surprised if not for the fact that I had spent the past twenty minutes pacing up and down the length of my room, barely able to process my thoughts. My mind was still reeling over from the day's events. I whirled around on my heels, having anticipated the very person who had entered valiantly through my threshold.

"Amy Richards to the rescue!" She brushed a hand through her lustrous blonde hair, one hand settling on the crook of her hip and nudged her chin up at me like a superhero. As always, Amy dazzled her audience but when she received a lack lustre reaction, she knew something was on my mind.

"Oh wow. Is it that serious?"

I dropped my hands to my sides, suddenly feeling the weight of my arms which had grown numb from being so tightly crossed in front of my chest. Stepping forward, I gave her a guilty smile and spoke up.

"It's...not, really. But, I just needed to ask someone about this and you popped up-"

"Say no more," Amy interrupted, holding a hand up to stop me. She grabbed my hand and led us to my bed, pushing me down to sit down comfortably and then positioned herself in front of me, in somewhat of an interrogation mode. "Spill it."

And so I did

And so I did.

"It started when dad and I bumped into him at the museum..."

**

"I'm really glad we decided to do this May," Dad said, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. I grinned up at him and returned his half-hug. "Me too Dad." We both needed this. Dad had pretty much glued himself to the office lately and today was the one day he managed to get off. Martha, a colleague from work who he seemed to be quite fond of, had told us about the Franklin Institute, a science museum downtown. She had managed to get special tickets to a planetarium exhibit. Although dad had never been too fond of science, we were both looking for a way to spend the day together and the perfect opportunity had presented itself.

"I was wondering if we would ever get a chance to do something like this again," he said quietly, regret seeping into his voice as he continued on

"I was wondering if we would ever get a chance to do something like this again," he said quietly, regret seeping into his voice as he continued on. "Work has just been...tight lately. And I was worried that you would feel alone aga-"