CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: Tangled in the Great Escape

Copyright © 2013 All Rights Reserved

Sharp Practice by Sierra B

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR 

My father was nearly as surprised as my mother to see us, his reaction just shy of the tears although they did brim in the corners of his eyes, one of which was swollen. My father looked very similar to how Kris did when I first saw him after my visit to Georgia. Apparently John had did a real number on his when they had their little chat; apparently we all had little chats with John.

"Dad, let me fix that for you," I said as I placed my hand over his eyes. Just like with Kris earlier I ran my fingers over his wounds as I imagined his face perfectly fine. When I finished both of my parents looked at me with awe.

My other opened her mouth to comment on my new ability then shook her head as if to refocus herself. "We need to get out of here," my mother said trying to concoct a plan.

"And go where?" my father questioned.

"We can't go home," I frowned, "he pulled me out of school."

"They know where it is now anyway, it wouldn't be safe," my father said.

"We should leave the state," my mother offered.

"Maybe the country," my father offered.

"What about Skeigh?" I asked with a frown.

Both of my parents stopped in the middle of their frenzy and looked at me with sad eyes. "Hon," my mother said softly.

"No!" I cried. "I can't leave her! You can't make me leave her! We can bring her with us wherever we go!"

"Rhylee, Skeigh has her own life and her own parents," my father said.

"But- I- She's my best friend; the closest thing I've ever had to a sister. She's been there my whole life. I just found out she was an Enlight," I frowned. "We're the only ones she knows."

"I never wished for anything this awful to happen to you Rhylee but it's happening. I'm sorry but you're going to have to deal with it," my mother said sternly. "Now let's go home and grab some things; we'll figure it out when we get there."

I nodded somberly and moved forward to grab my parents' hands and leave when the door suddenly busted open and revealed Shawn and Forrest with Kris behind them both.

"You guys are not supposed to be together," Forrest grunted.

"This isn't going to go over well with John, Ginger," Shawn frowned.

Kris remained silent as they all stepped inside.

"How did you know we were all in here?" my mother frowned.

"The room is bugged," I answered for them with my own frown. Obviously the room was bugged; John was a tyrannical sociopath, of course he didn't trust his guests or his prisoners and had their rooms bugged. We should have known.

"Bingo Sherlock," Forrest said sarcastically.

"We have to separate you again," Shawn said with a frown.

"John said and I quote 'I should have known she'd be trouble but I allowed her to keep her power out of kindness she didn't deserve. I won't make that mistake again,'" Forrest quoted with a wicked grin on his face.

I went pale at the thought and everyone but Forrest had a look of discomfort on their face at the threat. I realized then, they all knew what it was like to have your very essence sucked out of you, and by the look of their faces it was awful. I'd seen him do it to my mother and it looked just that. I shook my head and huddled closer to my parents, "No! We're leaving!"