CHAPTER SIX: A Seven for a Secret

Copyright © 2013 All Rights Reserved
Sharp Practice by Sierra B

CHAPTER SIX

Skeigh and I sit together under our usual tree in the park at six-twenty a.m. the sun barely peeking above the skyline, both of us leaning over my phone which is sitting face up on the ground, speaker on, dialing star-sixty-seven. The number I had stolen from my father’s notepad was flashing across my screen, the location under the number reading Ambrose, Georgia.

“Maybe it’s too early,” Skeigh whispers looking from the phone to me.

“May-” I start when a voice of the phone picks up.

“’Ello?” A tired sounding voice asks yawning.

“Um, hello,” Skeigh stammers nervously. “Is this Destiny?"

“Yes it is now who’re you and what’d cha want?” Destiny asks her accent noticeably present.

“Um,” Skeigh looks up at me with wide eyes. What do I say?

I shrug.

“Hi Destiny, my husband Quentan called you earlier this week?” Skeigh says into the phone,

 “Ianna?! It’s been years!” Destiny exclaims. I silently curse, she knows my mother. “How’ve ya’ been?”

Years? Skeigh asks looking at me with wide eye. I stare back at her just as shocked, my parents don’t have Enlight friends. “Um, I could’ve been better.”

“I’d assume so. It’s really been a long time ya’ voice changed a lot. Ya’ sound younger.” On any other occasion I would’ve giggled but I was too busy keeping my jaw up. “Why the hell’re ya’ callin’ so dang early?”

“Um… I’m on my way to work,” Skeigh spits out quickly. “I just saw that Quen called you earlier this week and I was just curious about what.”

"Oh, well he was just callin' ta' ask me if I knew anything about someone with the same condition as ya' daughter."

Skeigh and I look at each other with the same thought in our heads. "Condition?" She asks.

"You know that thing ya’ daughter does. Q called to see if I knew anyone else like that.”

I frown a tad bit frustrated she didn’t say exactly what the hell is wrong with me. “Well do you?” I ask using my best impression of Skeigh’s voice which isn’t that hard since both of our voices are on the higher side.

“No, sorry hun. But I told him ta’ call my friend Deblin in Wales. He’s more involved in Order than me, but don’t worry I know how ya’ guys have been livin’ under the radar since ya’ daughter was born. Deblin is cool, you can trust him.”

Condition? Order? Radar? What the hell? Skeigh was too dumbstruck to think of anything else to say so I continue talking. “Order….right. Well thanks Destiny it was nice talking to you again.”

“Same here. Don’t be a stranger, ya’ whole family is welcome to visit me here in Ambrose. I miss ya’ lil green eyed beauty helping me plant flowers in my garden. How long has it been; a little over twelve years? She’s ‘bout fourteen right?”

“Fifteen, almost sixteen,” I say automatically not even thinking. I’ve met this woman, stayed with her, and have no memory of her whatsoever.

“Right, right.” She sighs, “We should catch up more often, I miss ya’ll terribly. I’m serious, don’t be strangers.”

I swallow my shock long enough to say, “I won't, bye now.”