CHAPTER EIGHT: Purified

Copyright © 2013 All Rights Reserved

Sharp Practice by Sierra B

CHAPTER EIGHT

Kris stops the RDX in front of my house, both of my parents’ cars parked in the driveway. “Do you want me to come in and take the heat off you? After all I was the one that kidnapped you.”

I shake my head, “No it’s cool, I don’t want them hating you.”

He frowns but says nothing else even though he wants to protest.

I look at him and think about what to do next. “Hey Kris,” he looks at me, his irises glowing brighter before flashing gold, instantly going back to gray just as they had last time. I look down a tad bit freaked out but I don’t recoil trying to get over the physical weirdness that sometimes happens between us or rather to me because of him. Looking back up I lean in and kiss him on the cheek, “thanks,” I murmur as his cheeks start to turn red before slipping out of the car. Kris waits until I walk into the house before pulling off.

As soon as I’m inside my parents rush out of my dad’s study a mixture of anger and worry plastered on their faces. My stomach drops at the sight of them; how could they lie to me? Was I so fucked up that there was no way for them to tell me without me flipping out so they just kept quiet? No, these people aren’t my parents, granted they look like my parents, move like my parents, but my parents don’t have secrets, not any from me anyway. These aren’t my parents these are liars, secrets keeping liars.

Rhylee Ginger Anne Jacobs why on Earth did you not go to school?” my mother- Ianna yells when she reaches me.

I drop my bag on the floor and shrug avoiding her gaze keeping my thoughts as clear as I possibly could. I walk past them and start for the backyard, hoping I’d be able to avoid them in Constance.

“Rhylee answer me!” she growls.

I ignore her and continue to walk, thinking of nothing but Constance and putting one foot in front of the other.

Rhylee!” Quentan barks forcing my feet to stop. He forces my body to turn and my head to look up at my angry parents looming over me. “Answer your mother’s question now!

I blink up at them feeling my eyes start to sting again. I never liked being yelled at but their yelling almost makes me forget about lying, giving the impression that they actually care and that thought is what kills me. I force back my tears and shake my head refusing to cry for the third time today.

“What do you mean ‘No’?” he growls.

I shake my head again, “I wasn’t shaking my head ‘No’.”

“Then why did you shake your head?” he asks.

“No screw that. Rhylee where were you?” Ianna demands.

“I went to Jordan Lake,” I shrug.

“With that Kris boy?” she grunts already knowing the answer.

“Yeah, I went with Kris.”

“You skipped school to go almost an hour away with some boy?” Quentan growls.

I shrug.

“What in the world is wrong with you?!” Ianna growls.

When she says that something in me snaps and I glare at her all the hurt and betrayal displayed clearly in my eyes. “I don’t know why you’re asking me when you already know!” I yell.