CHAPTER FOUR: The Blackout

• Dedicated to Silence Snake :3

Copyright © 2013 All Rights Reserved

Sharp Practice by Sierra B 

CHAPTER FOUR

“Seriously you guys, I can’t take it anymore,” I frown at Skeigh and Kris, rocking back and forth on the swing at the park. It had been a week since my fainting spell and my parents have been acting different ever since; hushed arguments and me always catching one of them staring. “They’re driving me crazy with this secrecy/”

Kris smiles sympathetically at me from the next swing. “I’m sure whatever it is it will pass.”

I sigh, “I hope.” I turn to Skeigh on the swing on the other side of me; she was looking up at the sky waiting for it to rain. I look up too at the swirling rain clouds darkening the sky, sending a misty chill through the early autumn air. The forecast called for a storm.

I hate the rain.

I turn to Kris who was staring up at the sky with furrowed eyebrows. “Why do you hate the rain?”

“Rain is water which snuffs out fire and makes me feel defenseless,” Kris grunts not looking away from the sky. A drop of rain hits his cheek and he glares at the cloud as if the intensity of his stare would scare it away.

“How far do you live?” I ask him.

“Across town,” he answers, slowly looking away from the sky and at me.

“You walk home from here after school?” Skeigh asks shocked, thinking about how often he’s been coming to the park with us.

“No. I park my car down the street from here.”

“You have a driver’s license?” I ask raising an eyebrow.

“I’m sixteen aren’t I?” Kris rolls his eyes.

I narrow my eyes at him. “Drive us home.”

He narrows his back at me, “Say please.”

“No,” I grunt.

“I’m not driving you home then.”

“I said, ‘Drive us home,’ Kris,” I growl rising from the swing, glaring down at him.

He rises too, ascending a good eight inches above me. He looks down on me with a smug smirk, “And I said, ‘Say please’ Ginger.”

I glare at him and take a step closer not backing down. He glares back, his thoughts filled with demeaning comments on my height and a mix of other things thought in Greek. We stand there glaring at each other when a glint catches my attention. I look into his eyes which usually gray irises seems to glow brighter, leaning in closer suddenly they flash gold, going back to gray just as fast as they switched. Taken aback, I blink and back away blushing slightly looking at Skeigh who was staring at us, giving me the evil eye.

"Come on Skeigh let’s go home,” I mutter grabbing her hand, pulling her off the swing brushing past Kris who was looking at me confused.

What just happened? Suddenly he was in front of us blocking our path. “What just happened?” he repeats audibly.

I shake my head avoiding his gaze, “Nothing.”

He starts to argue when thunder cracks through the sky, following a flashing streak in the sky. As if that was the flood gates crashing, rain starts pounding from the clouds, instantly drenching us. I squeeze Skeigh’s hand and look at the deserted park around us, the air filled with thousands of droplets of cool water pounding against my pale skin. Thunder claps and I jump, squeezing Skeigh harder. I love rain but thunder storms never sat right with me, not like I’m scared of them or anything I hate to be out in one.