Ch. 7 Welcome To The Compound

Glenn POV

"Everybody get down!" Maggie's voice rang In my ears, and right as I turned, a car rammed into her. "Maggie!" I yell turning around and running, but just as told everyone else got down, men in the car held us at gunpoint. "Stop and put your hands up!" Someone yells from the car
"No! Maggie." I yell getting down at her side, something wasn't right, the way her torso was twisted. My arms pulled around her, and I stroke her hair, her heartbeat was faint. Someone raised their gun and another man says "just let it go, must be his girlfriend or something"
"Listen up, you try anything, we'll kill you. Hell we already killed her" he gestures back to Maggie
"She's not dead you assholes!" I yell, tears starting to well up, holding her limp body in my arms, my clothes soaking with her blood.
Carl looks to the men standing up holding his arms up and turning as if to gesture he had no weapons "please don't do this, you don't have to."
Something inside me was slowly breaking, piece by piece. "She's pregnant, please! She needs medical attention" I yell starting to cry over her, adjusting her in my arms, hushing her as she starts to whimper and squirm.
"Dammit Jake, you hit the pregnant woman? I told you it was weird she was just hanging out in the back by herself" one of the men says
"we thought you were going to attack us" he says scratching the back of his head as if nothing was happening, most of the groups eyes were locked on Maggie and I. Carol was surprised as hell, you could see it, the way her eyes stared wide at Maggie's body.
"We'll get her medical attention, under one condition." He says turning back to look at me. My eyes look up at him, tears streaming down my cheeks "I'll do anything for her, please."
"Your people come with us" he says, everyone was silent watching Glenn.
He looks to the others, most everyone was nodding, and I look up "ok ok..."
"C'mon, get her in the back. All of you" he says gesturing to the bed of their truck.
I get up holding her close carrying her to the truck, the group slowly gets up one by one taking seats.
I sit down in one of the corners, pulling her into my lap, hushing her, running my fingers along the side of her face, this was all my fault. Tears stream down my face and then there was a sturdy hand on my shoulder "it's gonna be ok" I look up and see Enid. I nod to her. She nods back and takes a seat beside Carol. I shouldn't of left Maggie alone dammit. She was squirming, painful cries and whimpers escaping her lips, almost constantly. Daryl sits beside me and the truck starts to move. I examine Maggie's body. Her leg seemed snapped back strangely, probably broken, and her torso was twisted wrong "I think her spines broken" I manage to swallow back the sobs that wanted to be let out. I knew that, spines, losing one anyway or breaking it, normally was fatal. My hand held hers, it was limp before it suddenly gripped mine and she was sobbing, loud and squirming the little she could. I lean down kissing her face multiple times, tears hitting hers, she wouldnt mind either. The truck drove to a compound, and a medical team stood there with a stretcher. "I'm going with her." I say stubbornly as I put her on the stretcher with a loud pop, as her spine goes straight. She struggles and one of the woman carrying the the stretcher gestures for me to follow. "What is she to you?"
"My wife" I answer tears falling "please" I follow them at Maggie's side.
"Her name?"
"Maggie" I say and Maggie's body twitches at the sound of her name, the woman says "well we'll do the best we can Maggie"
"Can she hear us?" I ask looking between the woman
"I like to pretend they can, but most likely no." The woman answers sliding her off of the stretcher onto a hospital bed. I get to the side of the bed and the woman says "she needs surgery. C'mon." She gestures as some other people come in starting to strip her down. I just helplessly hold her hand, as they cut away her clothes "it's gonna be ok..." I whisper reassuringly, a Yelp escaping her lips.
"There's a large blow to the head..her spines broken as well as her leg" the woman states to any of the doctors who were actually listening, others were working on Maggie's air supply. "She's gonna need blood" another doctor states and all eyes fall on me as I say "she's A Negative, I'm O. She can have mine"
"Alright" a man nods preparing a needle and inserting it, blood collecting into the tube "I'll give as much as you need" I reply wincing as the needle sticks into my arm.
They push me back and I stand in the background, doctors flooding my view and any chance to see her.

6 hours later

They eventually had given me a chair and forced me to take the blood tube out. 6 painful hours long and her surgery was over, her torso was wrapped and  i grab a doctors arm "s-shes pregnant...is the baby gonna be ok?" I ask concerned for my wife and Childs life. The mans eyes widen and he seats me "if she was pregnant...it's highly unlikely the baby would survive...."
That something that broke in me, it broke completely then "n-no please that can't happen. We've tried for so long. It's all we wanted.." I drop my head crying, not caring if anyone heard me. "I'm truly sorry sir..." He says pulling his hand from my shoulder and leaves me in the empty room, beside Maggie. I hold her hand and kiss the back of it "I'm so fucking sorry Maggie Rhee, I failed you. As a husband, as a protector. I had one simple job, to protect my wife and our future child....I couldn't do that. Dammit Maggie I'm s-sorry" I lie my head on the bed sobbing Into the blankets, I felt sleep overcome me.

Maggie POV

I wake up in pain and let out a shriek looking down, seeing a hospital and start to freak out "no no no help" I look around, my eyes landing on the familiar figure bent over on the bed, sleeping. It was Glenn. I bite my lip "g-Glenn?" And then my vision blacks back out and I fall back asleep.

Glenns POV

I wake up leaning back against my chair, Maggie was asleep. I kiss her head, tears streaming down my cheeks. A doctor steps in "she won't be waking for days...and even if she does, she might be paralyzed from the waist down..." I look up at the woman with a tear stained face "her names Maggie...my wife, she's pregnant. Is there even the slightest chance...that she still could be?"
The doctor looks between me, and her.
"Maybe...very rare chance..." She states stepping to the side of the bed touching Maggie's stomach softly, pressing down lightly. Drawing a loud cry from Maggie's mouth in her sleep.
"Yes....she still might be...." The woman answers seeming unsure
"Ok..." I just go with it kissing Maggie's shoulder holding her hand which was limp again.
"Welcome to the compound..." The woman sighs turning and leaving