10. The First Attempt

Hale parks the car and pops the trunk open. He grabs the bags and then comes over to my door to open it. Seriously, why did he put a child security lock on? I'm not going to jump out of a moving car. Okay, maybe if I was desperate enough, I would. But for sure not any time soon.

I slip out and slam the door behind me. I head into the mansion with Hale right behind me. When we get into the laundry room, he hands me the bags and locks the door.

He pockets the keys and herds me up the stairs. I drop the bags on my bed and plop down next to them. I can't believe this all.

"You have an hour to cook something for dinner!" Hale shouts from his room. "I'm taking a shower and when the hour is up, dinner has to be made."

I hear his door close and the water soon turns on. Finally, a chance to leave. I tiptoe to his room and open the door. His room is huge!

It's twice the size of the room I'm in. The walls are navy blue and the furniture is black. There is a sofa made of black leather against the far wall, right by the doors to the balcony. I find his jeans folded on his bed and rifle through the pockets to find the keys. I find the remote thing that undoes my bra, but the keys are not there!

I pocket the remote and I look around the room. I soon find them on a hook that hangs right outside the bathroom. I walk back into my room and take out the dresses that aren't see through and longer than my butt. I press the only button on the remote and my bra unlocks. I pull on a fully padded bra and then put on the longest dress.

I grab my documents for the Supreme City citizenship and put them on the bottom of my bag. I put the other decent clothes in my original bag and head down stairs with the keys. I walk over to his kitchen to find food for myself. I'm not that hungry because I'm used to little food, but I need some later.

In his fridge, I find a lot of fruits that are not perishable, at least for a while. I grab a couple apples, a loaf of bread, a package of lunch meat, and a knife. I pack them in my bag and head to the laundry room.

Hale is very efficient and has only 5 keys on his key ring. That'll make it that much easier to find the right one. I know it's not the smallest key, and it's not the largest, so I've narrowed it down to 3. Luck must've been on my side today, because the first key I tried opened the door.

I quickly walked through the door and to his side door. I take the keys with me since his car key is on this ring. Now he'll only be able to come after me on foot. I run to the tall grasses that I first came here through. I take the path until it curves. When it does, I go the opposite direction. I need to head to the park, but nowhere near my original spot. I head towards the end closest to the big city. There will be lots of places to hide there.

I walk through the grass for close to an hour before I get to the edge of the park. Hale must know that I'm gone by now. I head to the part of the park with the playground. There are lots of cool equipment that can be useful when hiding. For example, the giant plastic rock they have is hollow, and there is a way inside the rock if you know how to get in. I found it one of my first nights after I turned 16 and got kicked out.

I head towards the city though, deciding not to stop in the park. It's too open here and Hale will find me faster. The post office seems like the best place to go. I know for sure that Supreme City agents hold meetings there. I can give them my papers and leave with them. Also, it's on the edge of the city, so I won't have to go too far in. Also, Hale would never look for me there.

It's starting to get dark, so I walk faster. I would rather get there before it gets dark. There are dangerous people on the streets sometimes.

I make it to the post office right before it closes. I can see the meeting room in which the Supreme City agents live in. At least for a temporary place to stay. An eager grin spreads on the man standing guard at the door's face when he sees me.

"She's joining." He said to the only female in the room. He started bouncing on his feet, like a little kid. I steer around him and head towards the woman. She's wearing a business suit and looks so different from most women.

"It's nice to see you my dear." She gently grips my arm and steers me to a chair. "We knew you would somehow make it. I heard about the incident that occurred at the Academy and I can assure you that we definitely have a spot for you in on our council board. We prefer fresh blood on the board because they know how everything runs here in the Society."

Wait, what? They were waiting for me? What does that mean? That I'm the only person to do this? Did I do something special?

"So. We need to make sure the papers are filled correctly. And then we take a test to see what position you should be in." She puts a stack of papers in front of me and a pen. "Answer honestly."

I dig the papers for the transfer out of my bag and hand them to her. I start filling out the questionnaire when a weird question popped up. 'Are you submissive?' Obviously, I'm not. I wouldn't be here if I was.

I finish the questionnaire and hand it back to the lady. I still don't know her name. Why is it that she knows mine, but I don't know her's.

She skims through my answers a smile on her face. But slowly, it dissipates.

"Jade, honey. It seems like you can't transfer. At least at this time."

"What? Why?" I quickly question.

"Your answers lead to a job that only one person in the Supreme City can have. That person can't just give up their role. We are a well-oiled machine and everyone does the job that best fits their interests and skills. But only one person can have this job. We're going to need to having a meeting to discuss this." She packs the papers into her briefcase and buckles it up.

"As soon as we have decided what to do, we'll contact you." With those words, she disappears. I didn't get a word in. I would've gladly taken another job if it meant I could leave this place!

The man that was standing outside the door is no longer smiling. He walks in and gestures that I must get out now. With a heavy head, I walk out the door and into the streets. I randomly walk around, not knowing where I am going. When I finally look up, I realize I'm in the park. I'm close to my tree.

I can't go back there. Someone will find me and turn me in. I'll go to the rock. I turn around and take a step, hitting a hard chest.