33

Aubrey sat next to Ramsey on the couch of the living room as everybody congratulated them. He watched Ramsey's reaction as everyone came by. Her smile was the biggest he'd ever seen it. He'd been waiting for a good time to ask her for her hand in marriage and felt there was no other good time.

He didn't ask Ramsey's parents for permission considering they still blame him for the death of the baby as if he was the one to pull the trigger. Aubrey knew asking Ramsey's parents to marry their daughter would've been an automatic veto. Her father still wishes Aubrey would've died while he was choking him at the hospital and her mother wish she didn't try to stop him. It's bad enough that Aubrey sees the three scars the bullets left on Ramsey's chest as a constant reminders of his mistakes.

Aubrey shook his head at the negative thoughts and kissed Ramsey's cheek before standing. She watched him get up and wanted to ask why but the constant congratulations stopped her from doing so. He manged to sneak past the crowd of excited people who gathered around the living room and went upstairs to their bedroom. He opened the top drawer of his dresser and reached to the back to grab the and grabbed the wooden box where he kept his stash.

I been trying to calm down on this smoking shit. But my mind ain't right. I'm trying be happy with my lady but my heads all fucked up.

He rubbed the back of his neck and sighed. There was that prerolled blunt he never got to from that night when he cussed Jade out. He was thankful it was still there.

Aubrey went to the closet and looked over his wide timberland collection. He settled for an all black pair and a grabbed a OVO coat he hadn't released yet so he could step out onto the balcony that was connected to their bedroom.

Sandi stood in the door way of the bedroom and watched her son for a while. She could tell by the way he was carrying himself she knew something wasn't right. She stepped into the room and closed the door behind her. The winter wind from the outside flew through the room from the Crack Aubrey left in the balcony door so he wouldn't get locked out.

"It's freezing outside honey." She said stepping outside with him.

"Why are you out here? You don't have a coat on." He began to take his off to give to his mother who had her arms crossed to keep herself warm.

"No you keep it on. This sweater is enough. I've lived in Toronto my whole 65 years of living. This weather is nothing new to me." She said with a laugh. It faded slowly as she saw her son take a long drag from the blunt that rested between his thumb and index finger. "I hate when you smoke that shit. It's not good for you."

"Well it's better than smoking cigarettes. You get nothing but cancer from smoking them." Aubrey said in a sarcastic tone.

Sandi rolled her eyes. "I guess you're right." She looked down at the ground below them enjoying the landscape in front of them. She loved that her son lives in a secluded area where no one could bother him. But she hated that he lived so far away. It was bad enough she hardly gets to see him but the distance, relationship wise, between them was unbearable.

"Aubrey?" She looked up at him. 

"Yeah?" He kept his eyes forward looking at the snow covered land before him.

"Why didn't you tell me you were gonna propose to Ramsey?"

He let out a short laugh. "That's what you came out here for? To do one of your usual police style investigations?" He blew smoke from his nose and took a glance at her from the corner of his eye.

"Yes and no. I also wanted to spend some quality time with my son since it's been months since I last saw you. And when I did see you, you brought home a girlfriend and now your engaged, it's a lot to take in."