Twenty Nine

The heart monitor beeped steadily, over and over and over. It was the only thing that I listened to as I stared intently at the man lying asleep before me, looking pale and unmoving.

My wounds had healed moderately fast, minus the one on my neck. For the last few days I had had to use a white board and pen to voice my opinion, only today could I start vocally speaking again and as I clutched Marius' hand, I whispered.

"Please wake up, I miss you."

To my dismay he didn't move a muscle and I let out a heavy sigh. He had been in that state of sleep since that night, a stark white bandage wrapped around his chest from the deep wounds that were inflicted there.

The doctors said he would wake up by himself when he was ready, that his body needed time to rest and heal before he would wake and even though the logical side of me understood that, I couldn't help but crave him.

I had been having night terrors, the urge to get my things and leave so strong that in the middle of the night I would wake up from my sleep to find myself fully clothed and my suitcase open and half filled with my clothes already.

A shiver ran down my spine and the dull ache had me swallowed back a growl. The pain I had been feeling only seemed to get worse at night and without Marius' comforting touch I was left reeling, lying in my tears and sweat until the tremors finally left my body and I could move again.

Rosá was worried, her mate lingering in the background and giving me comforting comments. Everything's going to be okay, he'll wake up soon, you two can finally have your happy ending, yet they all fell on deaf ears, I couldn't stop worrying about what if he doesn't wake up.

For three days I had barely moved, I was terrified to leave him and much to Noah's annoyance I refused to go only moving from the hospital chair when I had to use the bathroom or go flit to the other side of the hospital to grab a blood bag.

With a heavy sigh, I was pulled from my thoughts by a soft knock at the door.

I barely blinked as Rosá came and sat beside me, the scent of summer lingering on her skin as she reached out to touch my hand that was lying limp in my lap, my body feeling cold and numb. Is this really how things end?

"How are you holding up, Darling?"

"As okay as I can be I suppose." 

I hated how rough my voice sounded and almost cringed when Rosá shook her head and squeezed my hand a little harder. "Still no sign?"

"Not even a twitch." Sighing, I dragged a hand down my face. "I don't know how much longer I can do this." 

My gaze flickered from her to Marius again, eyes wandering over his facial features as if I could memorize every little detail, every little freckle and scar marking his breathtakingly handsome face. 

"Are you still..."

"It's getting worse, I woke up last night by the front door with my rucksack in hand." 

Rosá cursed softly in a language I didn't understand and I reluctantly tore my gaze from my mate to find her studying me, with worry in her eyes. "If your maker needs you don't you think she would have called?" 

"Not if she's dead and if that's the case then I really need to find her."

Rosà frowned. "Why? I thought you hadn't spoken to her for years."

"I haven't but the thing about being a child of the new generation is that if she dies, I die..."

"What?! That's ridiculous!"