Chapter 3

I shifted back into my human form. Why on earth would a fox be so far this way? He could smell the fear and it wasn't just because of him. It was because of something or someone else. I reached around her to the spare clothes we keep at the base of trees. I slid on some shorts and held out the shirt. "Shift." I commanded in a gruff voice.

When she finally obeyed I set eyes on the most stunning creature I had ever seen. Before I could say anything she snatched the shirt from me and slid it on. She was a small thing so the shirt swallowed her. I brushed the hair from her face and she flinched and quickly spared a glance at me. Her pulse quickened and let out a little gasps. A part of me hopes it was out of lust and not fear. I dropped my hand and sat down. She backed up and looked unsure before she mustered up some courage and spoke. 

"Whoever you are, I have valuable information I can trade for my life." she twisted her fingers nervously. 

What kind of information could she have? Why was she so sure I would hurt her? Most shifters were kind to one another. Sure she is trespassing but he wasn't so sure this was wolf territory anyway. He had gone pretty far. I inclined my head for her to continue speaking. She was fox so anything she told me would be helpful. 

"Um, well, y-y-you had to um promise you won't hurt me." I nod my head at her request. Gaining her confidence she kept going with the demands. I was cute watching her face squinch up coming up with terms. "And I want a place to stay, under your protection. No asking who I am or where I'm from. Or even how I stumbled upon this information." She was nodding to herself and mumbling about how she she definitely ask for more. 

Jokes on princess here, she doesn't need to create all of these terms. She was under my protection as soon as I laid eyes on her. The urge to protect her from everything under the sun rode me hard, soon I made disclose to her that she was mine. But I didn't want to scare her.

"How do I even know this information is worth anything to me? I'm just some guy you met in the woods." I watched as she bit her lip and indecision flashed in her eyes.

She swallowed hard before speaking, blue eyes met mine and a fire burned through my soul. "I just know okay. Something about your energy radiates power. I can only hope my luck isn't so terrible that you couldn't help me." 

A slow smile slid on my face. I inclined my head again to let her know her inference was correct and she should continue. 

"I know of a place where hundreds of shifters are being kept in cells and being experimented on. They're trying to create something. A hybrid. A mixture of different animals." She rushed out, eyebrows pinched together. 

I shot up and she startled for a minute then looked up at me. It makes so much sense now. Not only were wolves going missing but if he had to bet, other clans and packs were having the same issue. He had to get this information to the other clans but he didn't know who was involved or who he could trust. If the fox den was in on it then he could only assume they had help capturing the other animals. 

"I need a location." I pulled her to her feet and she fell into me. Weak from her journey and the probably the lump he saw forming on her head. He saw red, someone had hit the poor girl or she had run into something. I ran my hand over it and watched her flinch. I cursed under my breath. "Who did this to you princess? I will kill them." I swear solemnly.  

She pulled away. "At the fox den but underground. There was a putrid smell so I followed my nose to the source. I think they're dying." 

I grab her hand and start pulling her in the direction of the wolf community. With a slight whisper that she knows I can hear states that, "My name isn't princess, it's Arielle by the way." 

We stomp through the forest making good pace until I realize I'm practically dragging her. I want to ask a thousand questions but she made it clear she didn't want to answer those. I wanted to respect her wishes but I still found myself wondering who was this girl and how could I keep her. I slowed to a stop and turned to her. 

"How old?" I bit out suddenly aware that I never asked and she could easily be underage. For the things I wanted to do to her, I prayed a small prayer that she was not.

She blushed all the way to her white roots. "Today is actually my birthday, I'm 18." I sighed a breath of relief.

"Where are you taking me?" 

I spare her a glance as I started stripping my shorts. "We're heading to my pack. As Alpha there are things I need to figure out and I can't waste anytime." Her eyes widened once I was completely naked and she turned around. 

"WHY ARE YOU GETTING NAKED?" She exclaimed. I smirked, maybe I'm affecting her after all.

"We need to get back as soon as possible. You're going to ride me." Her squeak made me bark out a laugh. "As much as that would please me, I need you to climb on my wolf when I shift princess. As fast as you are, I'm quicker." 

I started the shift and she turned to watch. This was typically a private moment but I found myself enjoying her eyes on me. Once done she had wide eyes again and ran her hand through my fur before climbing on. I howled to let my pack know where I was and that I was coming home. She held on tight and I ran, dodging between the trees as I went. 

Having her warm body flush against me was like heaven. Although small, Arielle had wide hips and a thick build. She was the opposite of how lithe most fox girls were. She was short compared to me and had the prettiest hair, it was like silk. The smell of vanilla and cinnamon lingered on her skin and made her even more irresistible. Her skin the color of caramel and honey. She was straight perfection and when I got her in my home I would do whatever it takes to keep her safe.

One thing was for certain, I was never letting her go. 

Little did I know neither were my enemies.