Chapter 2

When people in the movies say they have a bad feeling about something but go in the spooky basement anyway, I always balk at it. It just doesn't make sense, normal people would never do that!

But here I am, running from a would be suitor into the basement that's been off limits since before I was born. "Arielle!" I hear in the distance. My blood runs cold and I take the steps two at a time making sure to shut the door behind me. Sweat covers my skin, that was a close one.

Ever since I could remember my father has always talked about how important it is for us to have allies. Being a fox shifter, we have the numbers but we lack strength. And strength is everything to my father. I wince at the putrid smell. Fumbling around for a light I miss-step and stumbled down the rest of the way. The way this day is going, makes me wish I was ignored again.

My father never paid much attention to me. I am one of seven and the youngest daughter. I have four older sisters who have been married off to different business partners of my fathers'. In return, he got land and business deals most people would have to kill for. Then I have my older brother who is set to take over the family's estate and lastly my younger brother. He's 16, and isn't around much. Tends to prefer keeping to himself in his room. Father let's him be because he says he has no use for another son, especially one that can't shift.

I push my hair from my face, wincing in pain when I touch the lump forming on my head. Today was suppose to be perfect. I was finally 18, and I could leave. I've wanted to travel and maybe even go to school for the longest. Father is so strict we aren't allowed out of out territory. I thought maybe I would get my freedom, even if I had to sneak out. Well, I thought wrong.

As I was leaving down for breakfast my father appeared like a ghost in the hallway. "Relle, I must speak with you." He turned and walked to his office.

My heart soared, was he finally letting me go? We had talked in passing about the subject but he was quick to shut it down. I followed him inside and shut the door grinning from ear to ear. "Yes, father?"

He took a seat at his mahogany desk and didn't acknowledge me for a long minute. Then he spoke, "I've been waiting for some time for you to become of age. I know I don't give you much freedom but that ends today."

I start jumping up and down clapping my hands excited. He silenced me with a look. I composed myself while he continued.

"I thought it would be rather difficult to find a perfect match for you considering your odd features. Platinum blonde, almost white hair and your blue eyes. Very peculiar for any fox shifter. But Illysus Arckwook has decided he'll take you." He sat back pleased with himself.

Tears welled in my eyes. "You can't! He's nearly older than you!" I balled my fists. How could he do this? I thought I was safe from this nightmare.

His face twisted in anger and he got up from his desk and rounded the corner until he stood in my face. Towering over my short stature he was clearly enraged.

"You have no idea the amount of work I put into finding someone that would overlook your flaws. Not to mention the weight! You'll be grateful and treat your soon to be husband with respect when he gets here."

"I'll never marry him!" I screamed at him. All of my insecurities bouncing around in my head.

I felt the air displace before the punch even landed. I turned my head but the blow still struck. Pain bloomed in my head and I fell to the ground. He straighten his shirt and smoothed his hand down his pants leg.

"You'll marry him and you'll do with a smile. I hear his car pulling up now. Be dressed in ten minutes or I won't be as gentle next time." He stepped over me and out the door.

Moments later I was on my feet and running down the stairs and out the back door. That's when I heard them calling for me. And why I had no other choice but to hide in the smelly basement.

Blinking and regaining my balance I survey the room feeling again for a light switch. Then I find it but when the room illuminates I try my best to contain a small scream. Hundreds of cages of wolves and other half starved shifter animals had been half beaten to death all with tubes coming from them.

In the middle of all the chaos was creature with the head of fox, body of a wolf and tail of a panther. It also had small stubs that looked like growing wings. It would have scared me had it not been so small and close to death. I backed up until I was almost back up the stairs. I had to tell someone. Not only was my father a shady and abusive man, he was running experiments combining shifters.

I didn't know where I was going but I knew I couldn't stay, especially if they find out that I know what's down here. I sprint up the stairs and dash through the woods shifting as I go. My mind racing at different possibilities that could happen. What if I run into my fathers men? Or another pack? Or I get caught in a trap? How long could I run and what about my brother?

I ran for hours, overlapping with my own scent trail and even diving into a lake to mask my scent. It wasn't until late that I climbed a tree and rested. I hadn't been in the tree for a good hour when I heard loud thumping noises approaching steadily. They were not the sounds of a fox, we walked on our tip toes to high our sound, no this was the sound of a bigger animal. It didn't care if it was heard. I saw the big wolf enter the small clearing and before I could think I was falling out of the tree. Dammit, there was nothing I could do now. If he chose to attack first and ask questions never then I was screwed.

I curled in a ball expecting the attack, then peeked out when nothing happened. He looked down at me with suspicion and I curled into a tighter ball.