Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

            “Will you be listening?” he inquired.

            “Wouldn’t miss it for the world,” I promised.

            Leaning down, he gave me a quick kiss on the forehead. “Alright, see you soon Iris.”

            Chloe, Kevin, and I sat front and center in the auditorium. There was an excited hum filling the room, but I couldn’t join it. I brought my knees up to my chest, resting my chin on them. Chloe leaned against me, letting out a soft sigh. Noticing our glum, Kevin tried his best to wrap an arm around both of us.

            “Cheer up guys, it’s not like they’re dying,” he said, poking at my cheek.

            Chloe twisted her lips to the side. “Yeah. You’re right.”

            “Just imagine the stories they’ll have for you guys when they get back,” he continued cheerfully. “All the dirty deets!”

            “Dirty deets?” I echoed. “You think they’re going to cheat on us on tour, don’t you?”

            Kevin’s face paled. “What? No! No that’s not what I meant!”

            I grinned at him. “I know. I’m kidding.”

            “Geez, I can never tell when you’re kidding Iris.”

            Chloe giggled. “It’s her best quality.”

            “Kevin’s right though,” I said, sitting a little straighter in my seat. “It’s not good to feel so melancholy. We don’t want to make them feel sad for having to leave. This is the best thing that could happen for them.”

            “Right!” Kevin agreed.

            “I’m pretty jealous,” Chloe started, a dreamy look appearing on her face. “Those guys will get to see each other play every night. That’s like, my dream come true.”

            I rolled my eyes fondly. “Right, fangirl Chloe. Tell you what. We’ll go to every show we’re able to go to around here. As long as the drive is less than three hours.”

            “I bet we could crash with them for further shows though,” Kevin added thoughtfully. Then, “What? You think I won’t be invited?”

            Just as I opened my mouth to respond, the principal took the stage, introducing Gold to the audience. As if we didn’t know who they were already. As usual, Rian, Luke, and Noah oozed charisma as they took the stage. Where they belonged.

            The first part of their speech was dedicated to the school, thanking them for the chance to attend, giving them a great experience, keeping them safe, allowing them to learn so much, and all that. Next was to the students as a whole, for supporting them and for treating them like normal students (which was kind of a lie, because most of the students didn’t).

            “And of course, our special friends,” Rian continued, eyes locking with mine. “Iris, our student council president, thank you for showing us around the school on the first day, and becoming our first and best friend.”

            “Yeah, Iris, we love you,” Noah added happily.

            “And Yun, you too, for allowing us our first normal high school party,” Rian said, then did a double take at the principal. “Uh, that didn’t involve alcohol whatsoever… nope, not at all…”