"Emma's gotten worse," Randy says to Kyle.

"How much?"

"She disappears every night with that freaking boyfriend of hers. I hate him. If I ever saw the guy I'd punch him."

"Sure you would," Kyle says sarcastically.

"You couldn't hurt a fly." Belinda sighs with a, rare, smile.

"I could so punch him."

"Yeah. And then nurse him back to health. Then keep him as your pet," Kyle teases. Whiskers jumps onto Kyle with timed perfection.

"That's not the problem! I really think she's in trouble. But she won't listen to me. Maybe... maybe she'll listen to you," Randy pleads.

"Me?" Kyle replies hesitantly.

"Kyle?" I ask. "Why would she listen to you?"

"She's like my sister too," Kyle says, puts Whiskers off him gently, then stands up and walks with Randy to the other room. Leaving Belinda and I alone.

"It's nice," she starts awkwardly, "what you did for Kyle."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Getting Randy to talk to his mum so that Kyle can have a relationship with his sibling."

"Oh yeah. That. It wasn't much."

"I underestimated you. I thought you were shallow and self-absorbed."

"Really?"

"You look it," she says evenly.

"Thanks," I say sarcastically. "Don told me about your step-mum."

"He did? Not surprised. He's a sucker for a pretty face."

"My brother would have done the same thing."

"You have a brother?"

"I do. He's always there for me. Well... he was." I mentally slam the door on my memories and think about how much better Lewis is doing now instead of how he was after the accident. "Anyways, he only said something so that I could understand."

"Understand what?"

"Why you despise me so much."

"I don't despise you."

"Then what is it? You have a problem with me. I just don't know what I did to make you feel that way. We're going to be seeing each other a lot. Especially since both of us are going to Lingard."

"Yeah."

"Well, with everything going on... don't you think that maybe we should... I don't know..."

"Start fresh?"

"Yeah. Give each other a chance."

"That sounds... good."

Just another plot twist in my novel like life.

***

The next morning, Kyle is elated. We're at school. So that's saying something. The happiness is short lived, however, as the day progresses he returns to his normal self. Which makes me realise how much of a downer he is. "So how was Emma last night?"

"What do you mean?"

"Didn't you have to talk to her or something?"

"Oh yeah. She's going through a sort of gothic stage. She likes dark stuff. You know? It got worse after Sonya cheated with my father. Her parents are splitting up and she blames Sonya."

"That makes sense. Poor thing."

"She'll be fine. She's strong, she'll pull through it. Hopefully."

"I'm sure she will." I say. "Hey, didn't you get those last results back?"

"Yeah I did. I guess you really are a good influence on me. I passed everything and got really good in Math and English."

"Really? That's great Kyle." I say and hug him with relief. He's really smart. He could've used my influence a while ago. "You sure you aren't interested in Uni?"

"Nah. My mother used to be the head at a University. Can't remember which one. Started with an L."

"That's pretty cool. I didn't know that."

He sighs and runs his hand through his hair. "I didn't know a lot about her either."

The bell rings which means school is over. "Hey Kyle."

"Yeah?"

"Do you want to visit Lewis with me?"

"Umm... your brother?"

"Yes."

"Like, with me? As in, come into the room and everything?"

"Yes."

"Are you insane?"

"Kyle..."

"He wants to kill me. I don't think that's a good idea, kiddo."

"He's better now. He's on medication and they're looking after him."

"Medication doesn't mean anything." He says defensively. "Look, I just don't think it's a good idea."

"Please," I plead. I hold his hand to stop him walking any further towards the parking lot where we are supposed to be meeting Josh. "Please Kyle. For me."

He exhales and shakes his head. "I can't say no to that face."  He says breathily. Then he cups my face in his hand and kisses my forehead.

"This will be good."

He looks at me questioningly.

"For both of you."