Chapter 37

Toby and I crawl out of the photo booth and meet Harmony outside. She's insanely drunk. The printer ejects the strip. Harmony snatches it groggily before I have a chance to grab it. "You guys should know better than making out in a photo booth. It's so germy!" She slurs after taking in the photos.

I go bright red. Don appears behind Harmony, looking sober, and takes her hand. We all head back to the meeting spot. 

The limo is waiting for us outside as well as all of our friends. We start driving back to our hotel by the time we can hear cops in the distance. Sierra tells the driver to avoid them as much as possible. Everyone is quite sober, except for Harmony. I haven't seen her drink this much in a while. Sierra is pretty sober too, which is a shock. She always likes a drink.

I wish I couldn't feel the tension in the vehicle. Something is definitely up. "Why is everyone so grumpy?" Harmony says dazedly.

"Calm down Sierra," Josh says and pats her hand.

"I can't believe she had the nerve to show up there," Sierra snaps.

"What's wrong?" I ask them.

"Loreen showed up," Sierra humphs.

"What? How did she get an invite?" Bridgette pipes in.

"I don't know. But I bet it was an illegal way."

"I'm pretty sure blackmailing people into giving you an invite is as well," Dylan says. "Just saying." He puts up his arms in defence after Sierra sends him the worst death stare.

"Did she do anything?" Bridgette asks.

"No," Josh answers.

"Then why are you so upset?"

"You guys are so oblivious. If she didn't do anything, it's because she didn't want to. Which means she has something planned," Sierra retorts.

"Don't be so paranoid. She probably was in shock to see you and didn't get the chance to say hello," Josh says calmly.

"I don't believe that for a second."

"Who's Loreen?" Toby and Don whisper to me on either sides.

"Sierra's enemy. She caught us swapping Bethany's shampoo bottle. Then she tried to get us in trouble with it, but Sierra caught her threatening us and accusing me falsely on tape. So now neither of them can get the other in trouble with teachers or the authority. Dead lock isn't good."

"Are all high school dramas like this?" Toby asks Don.

"Worse. Try being a high school camp instructor. You won't believe how much crap they get themselves into," Don replies jokingly.

"Why are you so worried? What can she do? Say a group of 17 year olds were at a club?" Dylan says.

"No..." Sierra hums.

"Then what is it? Is there something else?"

"Nothing. She's probably just doing research," Sierra crosses her arms and the rest of us take it as a sign to back off.

"There's nothing she can do to dull this high," Bridgette says and smiles. "I'm sure whatever she has planned can't be that bad."

***

We get back to the hotel and order enough snacks for the whole school. We probably shouldn't have let Dylan be in charge of ordering room service. Don and Toby seem to be getting along, both chatting about something that I don't understand. Bridgette and Harmony are trying to pick a movie to rent out on the TV. Sierra and Josh are talking quietly in the corner of the room. We're all in our pj's now. I decided a proper bra might be more appropriate.

I feel a bit like a loner, lying on one of the double beds. Our room is large, with carpet flooring. There are two double beds in this room, an ensuite, a small kitchen and a tv. A door exactly opposite me leads to a replica of this room, just the other way around.

"Let's just vote on it then, since we can't decide," Bridgette says to Harmony.

"Alright. It's either Insidious or Just Go With It," Harmony says to everyone, emphasizing Insidious.

"I don't mind," Sierra and Josh say.

"Well, Dylan and I vote Adam Sandler," Bridgette says.

"Yep," Dylan agrees.

"Insidious sounds good," Toby says, obviously choosing the freaky movie.

"Don?" Harmony says.

"Adam Sandler definitely," Don laughs.

Harmony frowns at that. "Kristen, you're the decider."

"Um, I don't mind," I say slowly.

"No! Say Insidious!"

"Fine," I say, rolling my eyes.

"Then it's a tie. Sierra and Josh, can you guys pick a movie."

"Insidious," They say in harmony. I doubt Josh is a horror lover, but he does what Sierra wants, which is cute.

"Insidious it is," Harmony says. Bridgette huffs in defeat.

The eight of us spread out on the beds. Four on each. It's a bit awkward - everyone with their date and then Toby and I sitting awkwardly. Even Harmony and Don are close. I end up jammed between Harmony and Toby, who's against the wall.

The movie starts, the music is freaky enough. Just the credit introduction bit is scaring me. "Awe Kristen, are you scared?"

"Shut up," I say.

He chuckles.

OMG. I freak out and turn the other way, into Toby. I try not to lean into him, but it's hard with Harmony pushing me up against him. I try facing the screen, but it's so freaky.

Toby laughs every time I gasp and I can feel his chest rise underneath me. I just hope Toby isn't taking this the wrong way.

After what feels like years, the movie ends and we all moan when Bridgette turns the lights on. "Does anyone want to watch Just Go With It now?" We all shake our heads.

"Too tired. Let's sleep," Dylan says groggily.

All us girls go into the room next door. I hope it's not awkward for the guys to sleep together. Toby doesn't really know any of them, neither does Don and I'm pretty sure Dylan and Josh aren't besties. Sierra asks to share with me. Harmony and Bridgette take the other bed.

And we fall asleep quickly. Except for me, of course. I keep taking the slightest noise as some evil ghost. I know it's just a movie, but that doesn't mean anything. I don't know how long I lie there, flinching at every sound, but eventually, I know I'm not crazy when I hear someone whispering.

I get up slowly, and walk to the door to the guy's room as quietly as I can. I take a peek through the crack of the door and I see a flash go off. Like, a camera flash. Who's taking photos? And of someone sleeping?

I listen to the whispering. Two people. Two girls. I rush back to my bed and wake up Sierra. She murmurs at first but doesn't make a noise. I bring my finger to my lips and tell her to be quiet. Then I gesture for her to follow me. She sees the flashing too and then goes into her bag, grabs her phone, pepper spray and hands me a bat. A bat? Why did she...?

Together we open the door. Unmistakable red hair glimmers from the little street light sneaking through the curtain. Loreen? Another figure is with alleged Loreen and the two of them dash out of the room before we see their faces.

"She took photos of them sleeping," I whisper to Sierra.

"But why?"

"Maybe she's a psycho?"

"Maybe she has a plan."

"A plan that will get her in jail. Breaking and entering, plus illegal photographing is a jailable offense."

"Maybe."

_________________________________________________________________________________

Thankyou for reading!

xxx

Aurora