--chapter 44--

Mello’s POV

I still hated it here. But at least I finally went outside. Bellatrixx figured me well enough to be on my feet for more than an hour, so I finally agreed to walk around with her.

She showed me the old docks where she and her young friends used to play, and where she had first fallen in love with a man named Yuijie (*note: pronounced yoo-ghee). She showed me the house she grew up in, and all her favorite places to shop for little trinkets. It was a nice place, I had to admit. A few people along the way stopped us to talk, and of course I met them. Everyone seemingly knew Bellatrixx here.

And then I met Yuijie.

He was a burly man, who looked very similar to Jak off of Jak and Daxter. Except without the goofy ears. His hair was a golden color, like mine, and was about halfway down his back. It was pushed back off of his head, so it stood out backwards a bit. He was very amiable, and wore almost a constant smile. His eyes were a mix between hues of dark blue and green.

He was tall too. Probably even taller than Matt.

He smirked at Bellatrixx’s arrival, with her on my arm.

He stuck his hands in his pockets.

“How’s it going?” He greeted the both of us. “Any luck yet?”

“No.” Bellatrixx answered. “But this is Mello.” She smiled and pushed me slightly forwards.

“Nice to finally meet ya’. I’ve heard a lot about you.” Yuijie said to me. I shook his hand. He had a tough grip.

He and Bellatrixx started speaking in their native tongue. We left shortly afterwards. We went back towards the docks, and sat, dangling our feet over the water. The sun was setting.

She leaned onto my shoulder, tired.

“So . . . you guys dated or something?” I asked. I couldn’t help it.

“Yeah. But things were complicated. He’s very indecisive.” She said.

“So are you.”

“Well . . . a few other things got in the way.” I could tell she didn’t want to talk about it. I changed the subject.

“How long are we going to be here?” I asked.

“I dunno.” I felt her shrug.

“What about the Kira case?”

“Don’t worry about it. Near will take care of things.”

“Oh, of course.” My mood soured already.

“Mello, don’t be a prick.”

I didn’t respond.

“Besides, I thought you’d rather spend time here . . . away from things.” She said, tracing a pattern on my arm with her finger. “With me . . . you know . . . get to know the place.”

“Is this because of the other day?”

“What do you mean?” she asked me.

I only gave her a look. She got what I meant.

“I don’t know, Mello.” Her finger stopped, and she sat up. “I guess I'm letting myself get carried away.”

“What, you mean you’ll never return to me?”

She was shocked. “Why would you say that?”

“Don’t you remember that night I was drunk?”

“Which one?” She asked, unnecessarily sarcastic.

“When I realized I made a mistake by letting you go.”