--chapter 32--

I was with Mello early that morning. He had slept perfectly and was already sober. I helped with that part. Matt and Rouge were still asleep.

“You’re still wearing that necklace.” Mello said, referring to the necklace he had given me the day after he left. That was such a long time ago.

“Of course. I wear it every day.” I replied.

“You never answered my question.” Mello said suddenly.

“What question?” I had a bad feeling- because I knew just what question he was talking about. Hopefully it was a different one.

“The one from last night.”

“Mello that’s unimportant.”

“Not to me. I just want to know.” He sat up on his elbow, the sunlight shining upon his gorgeous bare chest.

I reached out to rub his scars, as I always used to. They didn’t bother me. In fact, I loved them. It didn’t mar Mello’s look at all.

“Would you have come back to me?”

I swallowed nervously. What was I supposed to say to him?

As an old habit, he reached out, and stroked my cheek with the back of his hand.

“I honestly couldn’t say . . .” I finally answered. “You left me, for me to go to Matt. I tried to make things right between us. I was caught up in the moment with what happened with Matt.”

“I think you could’ve handled that better.”

“Mello, I'm sorry. I was just doing what you told me to do, to make you happy.”

“I wasn’t happy with that choice, Bellatrixx!” Mello raised his voice slightly, straining to keep from yelling. “I only wanted you to be happy! I didn’t want Matt to have you! You were mine!”

“You should’ve thought for yourself, for once.” I responded. “You never do anything for yourself Mello!”

“What was I supposed to do?!” Mello was irritated now. “You slept with Matt!”

“It was an accident!” I watched as Mello got up and pulled on some pants. He sat back down on his bed, still shirtless.

“How do you have sex with someone by accident? It wasn’t like he raped you.”

I was taken aback. He was in every way right. I had no argument. I’d have to be a complete moron to fight this.

“Mello . . . I’m so sorry.”

“Two years too late.”

“But you just said something relevant of being too late.”

“I’ve already apologized.”

“I have too!” I cried. Why was he doing this? I could get up and walk out if I wanted to. But, knowing Mello, he was going to fight. And fight hard. I didn’t want to fight him anymore. I just wanted to drop the matter.

“Do you guys have to be so loud?” A grumpy Matt mumbled, appearing in the doorway of Mello’s room. He was rubbing the side of his face wearily, in nothing but his boxers and goggles. Why he was wearing his goggles, I wasn’t sure.

“Sorry baby. Go back to bed.” I hadn’t realized we were that loud.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, yawning.

“Nothing Matt.” I told him.

“You guys sound pissed.”

“Go away Matt.” Mello murmured.

He gave Mello a look, but returned back to bed-or so I had thought. I wish I would’ve made sure of it myself.

I sat next to Mello.

“So what about Rouge?” Mello continued. “Everything was fine when I returned. And now I come back to find that Rouge is half mine?”

“She isn’t half yours. From all of my scans, she only has the genes for your hair.”

Mello and I both jumped at the sound of Matt’s footsteps. He was just passing by on his way towards the kitchen.

We lowered our voices.

“She’s still partially mine.” He said again.

“Mello what does it matter?” I asked. “You have no responsibility for this child!”

“Jesus Christ, Bellatrixx you don’t understand.”

“What? What is it that I don’t understand?!” we couldn’t hold our voices down as much any longer.

“That I can’t just up and leave and forget about her!”

“Why not? Both of her parents are here to take care of her!”

“I am one of her parents!”

“You are not!”

“You said it yourself, Bellatrixx!” Mello yelled. “Rouge is partially my child!”

We heard sudden breaking of glass in the hallway. We turned to look. Matt stood frozen in the doorway, eyes wide and his hand frozen in midair from holding the glass.

Oh shit. Oh shit oh shit oh shit . . . .

“What?” He said slowly.

Both Mello and I were stunned. He wasn’t supposed to find out.

I stood up. “Matt . . . .”

He came into the room. “Did you just say . . . that Mello is Rouge’s father?”

“No Matt. You know that she’s yours. You’ve seen it in her face.” I tried to be calm with him.

“Mello . . . is Rouge’s partial father? How does this happen?!” Matt was slowly getting angry. “How does this fucking happen?! Why didn’t you fucking tell me?!”

“Matt, please listen.” I tried to explain to him.

He glared at Mello.

“Matt, Matt!” I restrained him from moving any closer to Mello.

“Let Bellatrixx explain.” Mello said to him, rising from the bed.

“I’ll kill you!” Matt screamed. “You’ve taken my child from me!”

“Matt! Don’t scream! Just calm down.” I held his arms. “It was an accident. Mello doesn’t want her. I swear it was a mix up.”

“What do you mean a mix up?!” Matt was calmer, but still tense.

“There must’ve been some remnant of Mello’s sperm, and . . . well it must’ve slipped in with yours. I’m sorry Matt. I’m so terribly sorry. The only thing of Mello’s that she has is his hair. That’s it. I’ve searched her genes over and over. She has the most from you, I swear.”

“This can’t be possible . . . I can’t believe this is happening. I . . . Rouge is everything to me.”

“I'm so sorry.” I whispered.

Matt turned and left the room, punching a hole into the wall before the turned down the hallway.

“Oh dear God.” I whispered.

Mello said nothing. He simply got up, and left the room, in the opposite direction that Matt had.

I was in the shithole now.