--chapter 33--

Mello’s POV

I listened as the two yelled at each other in their room. Bellatrixx at least had some decency to have Rouge out of the room while they were fighting. I wanted to run her down to Beyond Birthday, but I figured Bellatrixx would’ve gotten pissed.

I held Rouge, ignoring Matt and Bellatrixx. Her precious face took mine in, and it seemed like I could stare at her forever. No, I hardly had any of myself on this child, excluding the hair of course. She really did look more like Matt than anything else.

She was a beautiful child. I recalled Bellatrixx’s words ‘Mello doesn’t want her’. It had actually hurt when she said that. I loved Rouge. She was a wonderful child. I did too want her; I was just too freaked out about the whole thing.

Rouge sent me telepathic emotions. It was an image of Matt and Bellatrixx yelling at each other.

“I know Rouge. There’s nothing I can do.”

Then she sent an image of me and Bellatrixx talking to each other. I couldn’t quite understand this one.

“It’s best to wait on them. Matt’s pretty laid back. They’ll fix things.”

She sent no more images.

It had become quiet.

Bellatrixx suddenly appeared from around the corner, staring directly as Rouge. Rouge only babbled, like a normal baby would.

I looked to Bellatrixx.

She hurried and snatched Rouge from my hands. She clutched her child close to her chest. Matt slowly appeared around the corner as well.

I assumed she had sent something to them telepathically.

Matt came up behind her, wrapping him arm around her shoulders and placing his hand on Rouge’s back.

Bellatrixx kissed Rouge’s forehead.

“We won’t fight anymore,” Matt whispered to his child. “I promise.”

Bellatrixx and Matt sat next to me on the couch.

“Sorry for yelling at you earlier, Mello.” Matt said quietly.

“It’s alright, dude. I would’ve done worse.”

I watched as Matt took Rouge into his arms.

Matt and Bellatrixx settled things out. Matt was finally convinced about what happened. It seemed to have accepted it, for he didn’t want anything to come in-between him and his only child. Bellatrixx swore to him it would never happen again.

Things were nearly back to normal, except Matt and I had to go out more often on mafia business. We had big plans for that night, for a certain accomplice of Light’s had arrived here in Berlin. I had a feeling that Light had sent them here after us. How he slipped past Bellatrixx’s security breech blew my mind. Bellatrixx had only claimed it as a coincidence.

Bellatrixx had the strongest security ‘wall’.

It took Matt four hours to convince Belaltrixx to be the main cog of our plan. We convinced her BB would take excellent care of Rouge while we were out. She needed to be the bait, for the comrade of Light’s. His name was Keliama Hyushami. We had never heard of him, Bellatrixx hadn’t either. So he must’ve been new- and the Boss wanted us to take him down, and kill him. Usually he just had us bring the hostage to him, but I suppose he didn’t want to deal with such a lowly associate.

Bellatrixx was finally ready. Matt and I waited in anticipation for the right time to come. We were to go downtown to a bar, for Hyushami was stationed with his posse there that night.