--chapter 38--

I was crying already. I couldn’t help it. I hated the fact that he had only been gone for a few hours, and I was already crying. I was just so worried about him. It was what my shinigami had told me that really bothered me.

They had told me the numbers over Matt’s head. They said the numbers kept changing, probably due to my protection over Matt, just so another Treashierian couldn’t mess with his head. It had bothered me due to the fact that the dates were all revolved around a date that was partially coming up quite fast.

I needed comfort.

I got up and silently went down the hallway to Mello’s room. His door was open. I held back my sniffling long enough just so he wouldn’t know I was crying.

“Mello?”

“Yes, Trixx?” he sounded tired, but awake.

“I want to ask you a question.”

He sat up, rubbing his eye. “Hm?”

“I’m worried about Matt. And I was just wondering, if you could calm me down?” I moved closer.

“Why, what is it?” he asked, yawning.

“If you’re too tired . . .”

“No, no. It’s fine. Come here.” He patted the spot next to him on the bed.  I went over to his side and sat down. He looked to me. “What is it you’re upset about?”

“Matt.”

“Right, sweetie, but what about him?”

I couldn’t get myself to say it aloud.

“Well?” he asked.

“His death.”

“What do you mean?”

I took a deep breath, trying to relax myself. It was shaky. “My shinigami told me that Matt’s death date changes often, or is invisible. But most of them dance around one particular day, which is coming up very soon.”

Mello seemed more alert now. He could see my tear-stained cheeks. He pulled me in, trying to calm me down as my sobbing slipped through. He held me to his chest, rubbing my back and whispering soothing things to me.

I could tell he didn’t know what to do. He laid back flat, pulling me on top of him. He was tired. He continued to rub my back and try to soothe me.

“Bellatrixx,” he whispered. “Just get some sleep. Everything will be alright. Matt will be okay, I promise.”

I had stopped crying. I listened to his relaxed breathing, his chest rising and falling below me.

“I love you.” He said.

I didn’t reply. Had he said it by accident? I didn’t want to go through this again. I felt sleep starting to drag me into its darkened oblivion.

“I love you too.” I mumbled against his chest.

I slipped into sleep.

Mello’s POV

The next morning, I awoke to Bellsy asleep on the other side of the bed. She really hated sleeping alone, didn’t she? I had planned to move her back to her room, but I had fallen asleep quicker than I had expected.

I was just glad that she still loved me.

Matt returned the next day. Bellatrixx threw herself into his arms as soon as he walked in.

“Geez, Bellatrixx, I was only gone two days.”

“I just love you.” She said.

He kissed her passionately. “I love you too.” He mumbled against her skin. They didn’t stop. I ignored their freak show, realizing this was how Matt felt back when I was dating Bellatrixx. I gathered the equipment at Matt’s feet and took it back to its proper room.

Matt picked up Bellatrixx, and carried her into their room, shutting the door behind him.

I went to get Rouge from her room.

“Well, Rouge, what would you like to do today?” I asked her. She was nearly three years old, but looked and acted more like a five year old.

“I ice-cream!” she squealed with delight.

“Alrighty, then, let’s go get some ice-cream, kiddo.” I picked her up, glad that she was already dressed. Bellatrixx had bought her a ton of little Lolita dresses, which Rouge loved herself.

Bellatrixx’s POV

An hour later, Matt and I found Mello and Rouge gone. I found a note telling where they had gone.  Matt wrapped his arms around me.

“Don’t worry about them, baby.” Matt kissed my neck. “They’ll be fine.”

“I’m not worried.” I said. It was the truth.

We got dressed, and waited for their return.

As soon as they did, Mello took Matt aside, to talk to him. I listened to Rouge tell me about her ice-cream.

I knew they were talking about the case. Matt’s numbers only depicted a week left. I tried to ignore them, but the date burned in my head.

For the rest of the week, the two worked on the case. The day neared ever so maliciously. I held Rouge tightly. She was looking more and more like Matt every day. I really didn’t want her to grow up fatherless. That would kill me.

I prayed she wouldn’t have to.

I was worried. Mello kept trying to calm me down. It was only a few days away. Matt couldn’t figure out why I was suddenly acting morose and paranoid. I couldn’t tell him. I only kept him close to me, not letting go. I made him several charms, for good health and good luck. I was breaking down more often now. Mello didn’t tell him either, in my luck.

Things were getting worse. Matt had finally given up on trying to figure out what was bothering me. He just let me hold him tightly.

The grim, melancholy day arrived. I was on split ends. My nerves were wringing out themselves. I didn’t let go of Matt, who was happy enough to lie around with me all day. We hardly spoke to each other, for I couldn’t get myself to speak.

Mello kind of hovered himself, wondering if what I had said was true. He was being super nice as well.  Mello was worried also.

Rouge was the only one that was bubbly that day.

Each hour was crawling by with antagonizing pain. Matt looked fine. He was a little creeped out by Mello and me staring at him all day long.

An hour passed, I couldn’t stop shaking.

Two hours passed, my stomach began to get queasy.

Four hours passed, Mello and I stayed constantly by his side.

Eight hours passed, I started crying.

Sixteen hours passed, landing at 11:59 pm sharp, I was shaking violently. If he survived this last minute, then he would defy death.

“Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you two?” He asked. “You’ve been staring at me all day! You haven’t left my side, and we’ve hardly talked! What the fuck is going on?”

It was midnight. Matt had survived. He wasn’t going to die. Mello and I sighed with relief.

“Matt!” I exclaimed. “You’re alive!”

I wrapped my arms tightly around his neck.

“Yeah . . . ?”

Mello just smiled.

“I love you so much!” I told him.

“I love you too.” He was creeped out. We could tell. He probably thought we were pulling some sort of prank or something.

Mello got up to go do something on his own.

I stayed with Matt, repeatedly kissing him, which he didn’t mind. I was overjoyed. I had been paranoid over nothing.

He didn’t ask another question.

He held me tighter.