--chapter 28--

We watched in silence as Matt and Bellatrixx held their child. Matt was so enthusiastic. It turned out that he had really grown to love this child as his own, rather than just a distraction for Bellatrixx.

Callire closely examined Rouge, from afar. There was something that even struck me. I think he noticed what it was, and asked Taylor, BB and I to follow him out, to give the couple some privacy.

Matt’s POV

I examined my precious baby girl. She was so beautiful. She had Bellatrixx’s thick and dark eyelashes, along with her perfect double-curve lips.

Rouge had my eyes . . . but her hair was blonde.

“Matt,” Bellatrixx said weakly. “Do you have any blonde relatives?”

“I’m not sure. I don’t know any of my family.”

“There’s no blonde in my family. It has to be from your side.”

“Are you feeling any better?” I asked her. She looked terrible, but her beauty didn’t fade, even under such a faint condition.

“Not really. I can tell I’m going to pass out soon.” She sighed. “I just wanted to hold Rouge first.”

I couldn’t argue or get scared at that. There wasn’t anything I could do anyways. It was just best to let her pass out . . . get some rest.

“Matt?”

“Yes my love?”

“Can you bring Mello in here? I want to talk to him alone.”

Mello’s POV

I couldn’t understand why she wanted to see me alone. Matt didn’t either, but he let her do as she pleased.

“Hey.” I said, closing the door behind me.

“Mello. Hold Rouge. She recognizes you.” Bellatrixx tried to smile.

I gently held the baby, trying my best to push away any thoughts about accidentally dropping her.

“Matt held her, right?”

“Yes. No offense, but I wouldn’t let you hold her before him.”

“Okay, good.” I took a closer look at Rouge. There was still something so odd about her . . . she had Matt’s face and eyes, Bellatrixx’s features . . . but the hair was confusing me.

“Do you know why she has blonde hair, Mello?” Bellatrixx asked me inquisitively.

I looked up to her, scared.

“No.”

“She has your hair Mello. That’s your hair.” Bellatrixx didn’t move. But her eyes bore into me.

I swallowed. How could this be? Impossible?! This wasn’t mine! This wasn’t my child!

“No. It’s not yours.” Bellatrixx answered my thoughts. “She’s Matt’s. But somehow your genes slipped into hers.”

My heart began beating rapidly. I hastily gave Rouge back to Bellatrixx.

“That can’t be, Bellatrixx.” I denied it.

“I can withhold sperm, remember? It must’ve accidentally slipped in with Matt’s.” She kissed her newborn daughter’s forehead.

“No.” This wasn’t happening.

“Yes.”

“No!” I became frantic. Rouge was partially mine.

“Mello. Please calm down.” She touched my arm softly. “I love you. I always have. I always will.”

I didn’t answer.

“What about Matt?” I asked quietly. I was paralyzed.

“I’m not going to tell him. We’re going to assume that he has a blonde relative. This will ruin everything for him.”

“He’s going to notice.” I couldn’t keep calm.

“Then we’ll wait for that day.”

I almost wanted to cry, I was so freaked out. It wasn’t mine. It couldn’t be. There was no way. No. No. No. No. She was partially mine . . . but mostly Matt’s.

Matt’s POV

After Mello came out, his face was completely blank. He said nothing to anyone as he left the apartment. Most likely to go get some chocolate.

I went back inside to my wife and child. God they were beautiful.

Bellatrixx handed me Rouge, then passed out.

Callire took care of her as I sat in the living room with Rouge; Taylor and Beyond Birthday beside me.

“There’s one thing for sure.” BB said. “She’ll be the smartest blonde on Earth.”

We laughed.

“That’s mean.” Taylor said, snickering.

“Bellatrixx isn’t fond of blonde on girls, so she’ll probably talk Rouge into dying it once she’s old enough.” I replied.

Mello still hadn’t returned yet.

Callire gave me instructions for Bellatrixx and the baby, then left, after another ‘congratulations’. I went to go check on her as soon as BB and Taylor had left as well. I was still waiting for Mello’s return.

I sat in a chair beside Bellatrixx, and watched as she soundly slept.

She seemed to be already improving, but she would have to stay in bed for at least a week.

I looked at my little Rouge. She was so darling; so beautiful. She looked up at me with her big brown eyes- my eyes.

Mello finally returned.