XVI.

The flyer trembled in my hands. "Uh, P-Petra, there's a... uh, there's a- tonight- school festival. Yeah?" I slapped my forehead and stifled a groan. Petra laughed, with that tinkle-y bell laugh of hers, and I pursed my lips and paced the living room, blood rushing to my ears.

"Levi, let's go to the school festival tonight," she giggled, carefree.

I exhaled. "Yeah."

"I'll be over in ten. See you!" The phone clicked, I collapsed onto the sofa, and the most shameful moan of shame left my throat. "I'm a total dud."

Tonight, after the weeks and weeks of preparation, was the school festival. For the most part, it was a loser event that only freshman attended, but there was sure to be some sort of sports game and food. Also, it was another excuse for me to be with Petra before she left. Back in elementary school, we used to always go to the carnivals with her dad and Mikasa. Surely this would be a great memory for her (and maybe me too).

The doorbell rang. I furrowed my eyebrows. Had it been ten minutes already? I pushed myself off the sofa and stepped to the door. It rang again, more impatiently, and was followed up by a series of rhythmic knocks. My eyelids drooped, and I scratched the back of my head with irritation, opening the door.

Eren grinned excitedly. "Levi, can we-"

"No." I slammed the door.

A moment later, Eren knocked again. And again. I pulled on the doorknob. "Listen, Eren-"

He leaned against the doorway with a forearm, smiling with a certain charm about him. Eren opened his eyes slowly, a lazy gaze in them. His hips swung to the side as he straightened. I raised an eyebrow. "Yo," he purred. "You called?"

"No," I spat, and lifted my hand to throw the door shut as hard as possible.

The freshman placed a hand on the door and leaned closer, smirking. "I'm surprised you've resisted me for this long."

A shudder ran through my body. "Ugh," I hissed, screwing up my face. With a fist, I pressed hard on the door, smiling angrily. "What do you want?" I said through clenched teeth.

"Just to link arms at the school festival, kitten. It's what you want, isn't it?"

I bit down on a scream and instead, slapped him upside the head. "Next time I'll kick you in the nuts," I promised sourly. He stuck his tongue out, dropping the act. "Anyways, I'm going with Petra and not you. Go with Armin or something."

"Actually, I invited Isabel and Farlan. Couldn't the whole club go and hang out?" He shut his eyes and smiled vaguely. "Ahh, it's so aesthetic."

"Count me out."

Eren brushed his finger tips against his chest and extended a hand wistfully, blinking. He bowed slightly and smirked. "Ah, but je t'aime*, Levi."

"Tell me about it," I snarled, doubling my force on the door. Just short of closing, it jerked harshly against an object. I glanced down, eyes widening in fury at Eren's shoe. In the doorway. "Why, you-"

"Oh, Eren!" a high voice piped. Eren straightened, his smile faltering a bit before growing exponentially. I stepped back, pinching the bridge of my nose. "Levi and I were going to the school fest- Ah, Levi!"

And I was encompassed with girl warmth. Petra slid her arms up my back with a tingling slowness that left my breathless. She pushed her nose into the skin under my ear, smiling. "Levi!" she whispered exuberantly. I sent an exasperated look towards Eren, who whistled and glanced the other way.

I pressed the tips of my fingers into her shoulders and pushed Petra away, chuckling nervously. "We just saw each other at school."

"Well, you're just so excitable."