VI.

go me for publishing the first chapter with no choppy japanese!!!

~~~

I was exhausted. And on top of that, it was hot as hell outside. I sighed into the stale air as Eren nudged me. "Won't you join a club?"

My back pressed against the cool brick wall. It was bearable in the shade, this heat. We were outside in the late afternoon sun, leaning against the school. It was beyond me why we weren't going home, but after that it became clearer. "No."

"Oh, but Levi!" In the grayness, Eren's eyes took on a creepy appearance. They shined like a cat's, wide and unnatural. "Please?"

Petra, who was also there, perked up. "Levi! Let's join a club!" It was really awful with both of them there. Each had an uncanny ability to persuade a guy of my kind, and put together... They were the semis, and I was the hundred year old bridge.

I kicked the dirt. "I guess, if one suits me."

Both brightened to a scary point- was their happiness dependent on my reaction? the world may never know- and both grabbed one of my hands. They dragged me inside the school, skipping all along the way. Down a side hall led to the commons room. On a wall was a bulletin board, chalk full of postings. This I was led to.

"It's got to be around here somewhere..." Petra murmured, dropping my hand. She shuffled through the papers tacked up, going deeper and deeper. Finally, she ripped out a sheet of worn down paper and a tack along with it, showing us. "Aha!"

Eren's eyebrows raised. "It's a list of the school's clubs."

It was. There, listed, was a row of club names, each numbered. There was a row for the brief description of each, the number of members, and club location. All of the clubs summed up to two sides of one paper.

Petra pointed to some, canceling out certain possibilities. "We can't join a club like sports or drama, because you either have to try out or they've already started activities. Some of them, like art club, is open to everybody, with a fee."

Eren glanced at her. "How do you know so much?

She smiled at him, and I swear both of our hearts broke at her radiance. "I'm on student council. Didn't you notice?"

"Sorry" was all Eren could manage.

The clubs like football had, in the section for the number of members, the word full. Also it seemed like the minimum number of applicants for any club was five. That was odd, since the maximum number varied on each club. I blanched at one.

It was the very first one Eren pointed out as well. "Look! The Otaku Club." He rolled on the balls of his feet. "Can we? Can we, Levi?"

"You can."

Eren bit his cheek. "That won't work. I want to join a club with you." He moved down the list. "Minecraft Club?"

"Never played."

"Cooking?"

"Not good at it."

"Home EC?"

"I'm not very feminine, I don't think." (He was wrong, in everyone's opinion ever.)

"Light Music Club?"

"I play the cello because I need the credits."

"What do you like to do?" Petra asked. She was watching us banter with amusement, hands on hips.

That got me. I closed my eyes, eyebrows furrowing. What I like to do? I held my chin, squirming with pursed lips. What I did in my free time was a good start. I supposed it was helpful to remember. Studying, making meals for Mikasa, and cleaning. "I like reading," I finally mustered out.