XIII.

It was just me and Eren in Storage A.

The room itself had finally succumbed to my iron will; the windows shone with pride every time the sun graced them enough to peek through the clear panes with warm, afternoon rays; the floor was glossy from a ferocious mopping- in which, I had to sweet talk the principal into letting me use (and with my appearance, it's obvious how easy that was) and then spent hours cleaning; and the shelves pushed up against the walls had been individually organized with care.

A hand dug down my face, and I sighed. "What kind of hippie teacher gives us a huge ass assignment on how to find ourselves with a partner and then gives us a grade on how well we did it?"

Eren frowned, scratching his head with the butt end of his pen. "Dunno. Our teacher, maybe?" He flushed at my deadpan. "A-anyways, we procrastinated doing this long enough. Ganbarimasu*, Levi!" He smiled, shaking his hand into a fist determinedly.

"My thought process was that if I waited long enough I'd tolerate you better but clearly I was wrong." Eren stuck his tongue out in response.

We sat there, me glaring at him and Eren giving me full view of his tongue. "Let's get back to work." He nodded and we both leaned forward to look better at the stack of papers on the table. Eren's hair and nose were right up next to my hair and nose. He smelled nice. His eyelashes weren't particularly unattra- I spluttered animalistic noises and pulled back.

He glanced up with a raised eyebrow. "...Anyways, we should-" He was interrupted by a loud crash and glass shattering around us. I flinched and stood as a rock rolled to a stop at a leg of our table. Eren jumped to the broken window as I knelt down to observe the rock.

On an unusually flat side was a note in Sharpie. Eren: behind the jym now. I snickered. Eren called to me, "I don't see anyone." He groaned. "This is just great. We'll end up having to pay for the new window."

"Especially," I added, standing up, "if the cause for this was you."

Eren looked baffled. "Watashi**?" He noticed the rock in my hand, and lifted it when I offered it to him with a wince. He read it and stifled a giggle. "That's not how you spell-"

I hit him upside the head. "That's not the point!" I chided, although earlier I'd done the same shamelessly. "Why do you always need to have beef with someone?" At that, Eren pursed his lips and glanced away. He put down the rock and moved for the door.

"I know who it is. Stay here, Levi."

Rolling my eyes, I easily caught up to him. "I'm not some heroine in one of your anime." I grabbed his hand. "Stay here and help me clean this up. We can convince the principal it was an accident." What was I doing, pleading with Eren? Some heroine? Scoffing, I slapped him to validate my non-heroine tendencies- which, in the end, only contradicted my statement.

I was very much so acting like a heroine- but this wasn't the time for such pitiful internal monologue! "Sorry," I said to the confused-looking freshman. "It's stupid for you to go."

The boy huffed and ripped his arm away. "I have business with this guy." Eren stomped down the hall, and with one forlorn gaze back at the mess, I followed.

Why was I following him anyways? I could easily wash off the Sharpie, clean up the mess, and tell the principal it was a mistake. It was actually the most logical solution. Yet, I was following Eren. His attitude was concerning, and I'd go to make sure he didn't get beat up again.

Wait, why should I care? It's his mess, not mine. I could potentially make it worse in the long run, anyways. If anyone had a problem with Eren, I wouldn't blame them. Irritating was an understatement when it came to this Japan-obsessed freak.