Chapter Thirty Six

Ethan's POV

I blinked slowly as my eyes adjusted to the sunlight that was streaming in at the window. As I sat up and glanced at the clock, I cursed as I saw that it was six am. A wave of fear washed over me as I saw Malia sleeping on the sofa opposite me. I glanced down at myself and gasped as I noticed that I wasn't wearing a shirt. Malia began to stir as I stood up and quickly pulled on a shirt.

"How's your head, Dr Hardy?" she smiled at me.

"Banging." I replied quietly.

She giggled and sat on her phone, presumably texting someone.

"Malia?" I asked.

"Yeah." she replied sweetly.

"Did we....?" I questioned, not quite able to bring myself to finish the sentence.

She frowned at me for a moment, before realisation finally crossed her face.

"Oh...no we didn't." she said quietly.

"I mean we kissed...and I took your shirt off but then you fell asleep." she giggled.

"Thank god." I whispered, perching on the edge of the sofa.

"You don't have to be so rude!" she snapped.

"No...sorry...it's not you, it's just..." I stuttered, not really sure how to explain myself. I'd always had trouble opening up to people, the only exception being Emma. I quickly shook my head trying to clear Emma from my thoughts and focus on th conversation.

"It's just, I've only been with Emma and I want to keep it that way." I said quietly.

"Really, you've only been with one person?!" she exclaimed.

"Ermm..yeah." I replied, my cheeks colouring.

"It's called making love so I think you should only do it with someone you love, rather than as a recreational activity like people do these days." I quickly added.

She stared at me for a moment and chuckled slightly.

"You can't spend the rest of your life not having sex." she grinned.

"It's really not a big deal." I sighed, beginning to realise that I was fighting a losing battle. No matter how much I explained it to her, there was no way that she was going to understand my point of view.

"So you're never going to move on from her?" she asked me.

"I don't know, it's only been three months, hopefully in time I won't have to feel like this anymore." I admitted. As much as I loved Emma, I couldn't help but wish that my feelings for her would just disappear, so that I could be set free. To be able to think about something other than her would be a welcome release.

"I'm sorry that I led you on last night, I was so drunk I had no idea what I was doing." I said quietly.

"I figured, you kept calling me Emma." she stated.

I nodded slowly, not surprised by what she'd told me. I'd been truly convinced that I was holding Emma and kissing her tenderly just like I used too.

"I should leave." Malia announced.

I nodded and watched her as she walked away.

Emma's POV

I'd been up virtually all night, every time that I laid down, I would feel nauseous again and have to rush to the bathroom. I'd been sick so many times that it hardly seemed possible that I had anything else left in my stomach to throw up. When what seemed like the final wave of sickness passed I slowly padded downstairs, trying not to wake Caleb and Georgia. I switched on the kettle and perched on the kitchen counter, feeling too weak to remain on my feet. I jumped as Caleb walked through to the kitchen.

"You've been vomiting for hours." he announced.

"Yes I know." I rolled my eyes.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"I'll be fine, I'm making a sugary tea, to make sure my sugar doesn't drop too low." I explained.

"Do you want a cup?" I added.

"I guess so." he said groggily, slowly rubbing sleep out of his eyes.

"Well you don't have too." I grinned before erupting into a coughing fit.

"You sound a bit congested, are you sure you've not got the flu?" he asked randomly.

"I don't think so, I think the cough is because I keep being sick." I replied.

"Emma...do you think...?" he started.

"Do I think what?" I frowned as he trailed off.

"I think you should do a pregnancy test." he muttered.

"Don't be daft." I scoffed.

"I'm not, you could be carrying my baby." he said quietly.

"Cal just stop okay, it's three am, I just want to drink my tea and go back to bed." I said quickly, as I picked up my mug of tea and made my way back upstairs to my warm bed.