Chapter Twenty Five

I sighed and sat down at the nurse's station. Being back in England, around people that knew everything about me, felt like being in a goldfish bowl. Like everyone was examining my tiny inconspicuous life under a microscope. I hated it. The best thing about Florida was that we'd made a fresh start. Nobody knew about any of the baggage that seemed to follow me, all the stuff with Caleb and the drama with Ethan's court case. I could feel everyone's eyes on me and quickly dart away when I turned to face them. It was obvious that they were wondering why Ethan and I were back here, and why I had huge dark circles under my eyes, because I hardly slept anymore.

I ran my hands through my hair and sighed as I tried in vain, to concentrate on completing the paperwork in front of me.

"Bad day?" I heard Ethan say from behind me.

Even though I knew that we would come face to face at some point, I hadn't been prepared for the huge surge of anger that I would feel. The sharp pain in my chest, that felt like he was leaving me all over again.

"Really, you're making small talk now?" I snapped, gritting my teeth.

"I'm just trying to be civil." he said quickly.

"Maybe you should try it too." he added.

I could feel my blood boiling, how dare he leave me and then tell me how I was supposed to act around him. I quickly spun my chair around to face him.

"Let's set some ground rules here, you don't get to speak to me unless it's to do with work or making arrangements for Georgia!" I said bitterly.

"I thought that we could stay friends." he sighed.

"Well you thought wrong, I stood on that staircase and begged you not to leave me, but you left me anyway, I don't think you truly understood just how much I loved you and now we're done, so I suggest you stay away from me." I hissed.

He opened his mouth but instantly stopped talking when Connie and Robyn walked over.

"Nurse Hardy, I need your assistance." Connie told me.

I glanced at Ethan and smiled slightly. He obviously hadn't even told them that we were no longer together, clearly he was that ashamed of his behaviour that he couldn't face telling people.

"Actually Mrs Beauchamp, it's Nurse Chambers now." I said quietly.

My eyes darted to Robyn as I heard her gasp and look between me and Ethan.

"The divorce isn't finalised yet." Ethan muttered from behind me.

"I'm well aware of that, but I changed my name by depol, I don't want to be Mrs Hardy anymore." I told him.

"My apologies then, this way Nurse Chambers." Connie instructed me.

Ethan's POV

My throat felt tight as Emma walked away with Connie. Even though I knew that the divorce would soon be complete, it suddenly seemed so final now that she had reverted to her maiden name. I'd never wanted to divorce her, I was only doing what I thought was right, but seeing the hurt behind her eyes and the bitterness in her tone, felt like someone had stabbed me in the chest. Maybe Kirstie was right, maybe she would never forgive me for what I'd done, not that I deserved her forgiveness. But I hated the thought of not being involved in her life, not even being able to ask if she was okay. I'd hoped that we could at least be friends, but that seemed unlikely. At least if I wasn't around her, I wouldn't have to resist the urge to pull her into my arms and hold her tighter than ever before. I thought about her every waking moment and she even occupied my dreams, and she had no idea how I still felt about her.

"You and Emma have split up?" Robyn asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Just leave it Robyn." I said shortly, picking up my pile of patient's notes and walking away.