Chapter 8.2

He walked what seemed to be the longest walk of his life, but he does not mind. He knew that someone was waiting for him when he finally stops walking. Surrounded by 55,000 people, he sees only one person-his miracle.

Richard's thoughts went back to July 16, how one smile changed everything. She surprised him with her reaction-how unafraid she was to let the world know how she felt at that very instant. She was brave, unlike him.

He lived inside a box he created for himself. He was too careful. He went through life walking on eggshells. But she happened. Maine Mendoza happened and his organized world exploded, leaving him with a beautiful chaos.

"She looks amazing," he thought, "and her hands are so soft I do not want to ever let go."

She is nothing short of a miracle. Because really, how often does life send you a stranger who would readily talk to you without judgment? Those five months of anonymous phone calls got him through every heart break and every rejection. It became his lifeline.

Oh, he knew. From the time they let her speak, from the time he heard her voice, even from afar, he knew. He may have doubted, at first. But what sealed the deal was when she sang Cry on national TV.

He'd recognize that voice anywhere. His hearing may fail him but he's pretty sure his heart won't.

So when people thought that his reaction was born because he was impressed, they had it wrong. He had heard her sing before. She sang to him once, at the other end of the telephone line.

He reacted that way because he found her.

God, he found her.