Chapter 1

Five Years Ago

"Gusto ko ng McDo. Drive through tayo, please."

This was probably the fifth time he heard her say that since he picked her up at their meeting place. They were with four other friends, cramped inside the backseat of a Subaru SUV.

"Hindi ka ba nag breakfast sa inyo?," he grumpily asked.

"Late kasi ako nagising. Nakaalis na sila nanay at tatay tapos si kuya na lang andun, ayoko siya makasabay kumain kasi aasarin na naman ako nun kaya naligo na lang ako."

"Gahol na tayo sa oras, o. Late na nga tayo dahil antagal mong mag-ayos tapos dadaan pa ng McDo. Gagabihin tayo sa daan nito eh," he answered with his eyebrows almost meeting.

Their friends silently exchange looks. This scenario is nothing new. In fact, them bickering and arguing is an everyday occurrence they know where this is going.

"Kung ayaw mo mag drive through, eh d huwag." She crossed her arms, put on her earphones, slumped in her seat, and fell silent. He merely rolled his eyes and sighed in frustration.

They were on their way to Batangas for a weekend getaway. After a very busy week, the whole gang decided to officially reward themselves with a fun frolic at the beach just to re-charge. But with the way things are going, it looks like an uneventful weekend is out of the question.

The silence in the car became unbearable for the rest of the people in group. Somebody took the initiative and turned on the car stereo. Not for long, the silence was soon replaced with animated chatter and loud singing.

"Hoy," Kat whispered, "huwag kang KJ, please. Hayaan mo na yang manong mong boypren."

"Kasi naman nakakainis. Simpleng request lang d pa mapagbigyan," she whispered back.

"Hayaan mo na kasi. Huwag mo na lang pansinin kung ayaw mo basta happy-happy tayo."

With that, she smiled. Her friends know all her moods-how she could easily switch from being sullen to bursting with boisterous laughter, or vice versa, in a matter of seconds. Soon enough, she was joining her friends in spirited conversation, expressing their excitement over the next two days.

She was already in a good mood, well, at least her mood is directed toward her friends-except for him. She refused to talk to him for the entire duration of the trip, which was nearly 3 hours. He tried to reach out for her hand several times but she just looked at him and held back.

After a long drive, they reached the beach house they rented for the weekend. It sits quietly a short distance from the water and the sound of waves lapping up the shore could be heard all the way to the house.

She took off her slippers and ran to the beach, feeling happy with the sand in between her toes. Normally, she gets lost in moments like these. She disappears, zones out, until she is one with the breeze, the smell of salt, and the sea.

But not today.

She must satisfy a need. She stomped purposefully toward the house, swiped the car keys, and ran out the door.

He saw her move with lightning speed-a girl hell bent on doing something. Damn, she moves fast, he thought. Thankfully, he was able to enter the car just when the driver was backing out of the driveway.

"Saan ka pupunta?," he asked.

She just kept quiet.

"Maine! Ano? Saan nga? Sobrang bad trip ka ba sa'kin at uuwi ka na?"

She gave him one of her signature killer looks. Will her boyfriend ever understand? Because despite the beauty offered by the wide expanse of the sea, she kept thinking of three things: cheeseburger, large fries, and Coke float.

"Tangina, Erwin, kailangan ko mag McDo."