Chapter 4.2

She was at home when she received the text message from her sister, Coleen, telling her that she was being summoned by their mother. Despite being comfortable in bed, she had no choice but to stand up, get dressed, and show up.

It was her driver's day off so she was forced to drive all by herself. No worries, she thought. Her destination is merely 10 blocks away.

Halfway, it started to rain-huge, fat drops of rain started to hammer through her windshield. She reduced her speed and drove at an easy pace. Up ahead, she saw an early warning device for a car stuck at the side of the road.

She slowed down and rolled the window at the passenger side.

"Kuya, okay ka lang diyan?," she asked loudly to make herself heard in the midst of heavy rain,"Kailangan mo ng tulong?"

She knows she couldn't help him fix the tire but she could at least call a towing service if he ever needs one. She couldn't see his face because he was wearing a hoodie. The guy simply held a hand up and called out a loud "Okay lang ako, salamat!" in reply so she went on her way.

Coleen was waiting for her outside as she parked her car.

"Anong meron?," she asked her sister.

"Samahan mo raw muna ako dito sabi ni Nanay. Sinundo siya ni Tatay para mag-dinner. So tayong dalawa muna dito," Coleen answered as they entered the office.

"Ang sarap na ng buhay ko sa bahay, girl. Wala naman mangyayari sa'yo dito, ang laki kaya ng katawan mo. Walang susubok na gawan ka ng masama," she teased.

"Gaga ka, Meng. Abnormal. Magtrabaho ka para mapakinabangan ka."

They were always like this: two sisters exchanging banters and insults, but they do love each other.

Maine laughed. "Okay, sige. Anong gagawin ko ngayon?"

"Yung mga checks, i-enter mo sa ledger. Tapos i-segregate mo by date. Yung mga for deposit bukas, ilagay mo dun sa blue folder then ibigay mo kay Trina mamaya."

"Nandito pa sila? Late na ah," Maine said referring to the office staff at their family's gasoline station.

"Mandatory overtime kasi tax season," her sister explained, "bakit ba anda-"

Coleen didn't get to finish her question. A commotion was happening outside. She peered through the windows and saw a couple of their staff gather around what appears to be a customer. She went out to see what it's all about.

After a while, Coleen returned to the office.

"Sus, may artistang napadaan. Nagpaayos ng flat tire. Basang-basa nga dahil sa ulan. Kawawa."

"Oh? Sinong artista?," Maine asked indifferently.

"Sabi ni Trina, Alden Richards daw, taga GMA."

Maine raised her eyebrows, "Alden Richards? Teka, wait."

She brought up Google on her iPhone and typed Alden Richards on the search box. In an instant, her screen was filled by pictures of a smiling, bedimpled guy. He was cute.

"Now, now," Maine thought, "where have I seen him before?"

She ran out the door, hoping to still find him there.

But he was already gone.