Arc VIII - Journey

Disclaimer: Nao is the only thing that's mine.

Warning: Hur. Hur. Surprisingly none.

Beta: Kalafina94

Beta: silverseed

This is going to serve as my beginning A/N for this and the next chapter.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Two weeks since then, I found myself staring at two very sheepish boys.

"Let me get this straight," I said carefully. "Naruto-kun, you're leaving on a three-year journey with Jiraiya-sama. And Sasuke-kun, you're also leaving on a three-year journey with Kakashi-sensei."

They both nodded, squirming at my frown.

"What am I supposed to do?" I asked in mild disbelief.

"I wanted you to come along," Sasuke said swiftly. "But Kakashi was right in saying that two-on-one training wouldn't be as efficient as one-on-one training and since."

.Since Naruto lost control, I need to be stronger to not only restrain him, but I also have to be stronger to face my brother.

I gave a slow nod, accepting this, then I turned to look at Naruto.

"Pervy-Sage won't let me take you with us!" Naruto blurted out. "He said we're going to be moving around a lot and he doesn't want any more kids than necessary! I'm sorry! I tried to convince him otherwise; I swear I did."

"I believe both of you," I assured them. "And I'm not mad. I guess I feel a little left out."

They both winced.

I gnawed at my bottom lip. "Can you. can you guys give me some time to digest this? How soon are you leaving, anyway?"

"Three days," they both said.

"Alright."

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

"So now I don't know what to do," I explained to Mommy.

I was curled up at my old home on the couch, the two of us. She had made us both some hot chocolate and was listening with a growing frown on her face to my dilemma.

She bit her bottom lip, chewing thoughtfully. "Why don't you go on your own journey then?"

"I don't have a sensei," I answered, glancing down.

"You don't need one," Mommy said, almost reluctantly.

I looked back up sharply. "What?"

"My mother. and my grandmother and her mother and." Mommy began to explain, a little hesitantly, "all were accomplished kunoichi, as you know. They all went out on a journey at five to ten years. They learned the wonders of the world and. you know the story."

I did. They each developed their own unique techniques and successfully taught them to others, who also successfully mastered them.

"Are you saying... are you saying I can go on my own journey?" I asked in disbelief.

Mommy chewed on her lip again. "The reason I never went was because I had no desire to. And if you did go, you are definitely not going for five years. And I expect monthly —no, weekly— letters to me. Preferably daily, if you can. I also want you to check in on multiple friends of mine. They'll tell me what state you're in, alright? And you will stay in this land."

My eyes widened with each word. "Really? You'll let me go?"

"It's tradition," Mommy murmured. "I trust you to keep a sensible head and keep up with your training."

I gaped at her, my heart swelling with excitement and gratitude. "I will. I'll write as often as I can —if not daily, then every other day. I promise."

Mommy gave me a thin smile. "I trust you, sweetheart. And this generation wasn't anywhere near as bad as my mother's generation. We will, of course, have to ask Tsunade-sama's permission, but I don't see why not."

"Can we ask now?" I asked.

"I don't see why not."

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

In exchange for a three-year, paid, training absence, I was to write to the Hokage once a month and my mother once a week. I was to make multiple stops between a certain time period with old friends of my mother's and if I wasn't back in three years, I would be declared a defected shinobi and hunted down. While that was going on, I would also be running errands on behalf of Tsunade —officially I was actually on a long-term C-Rank mission where I was running as an envoy across the land.

I was also leaving the same day as Naruto and Sasuke, after they left.

But they wouldn't know that.

Somehow, I doubted they would be quite as accepting as my mother was about my journey; the same went for Kakashi. So it would be hush-hush for now, like it was hush-hush with Papa and Ino. I planned on leaving a note and fleeing. It seemed like the safest idea.

"So," I said, staring at the two of them. Jiraiya and Kakashi stood a little behind them, both packed and ready to go. "So."

"We'll miss you," Naruto said, coming forward and hugging me.

I gripped him tightly. "I'll miss you, too."

Sasuke grunted, but shifted a little closer. Naruto and I exchanged a glance before pulling him into the group hug.

"Don't die," I told them both.

"Don't talk to strangers," Sasuke returned.

"Don't get raped," Naruto said.

Sasuke and I stared at him.

Naruto gave us a sheepish smile. "Sorry?"

I chuckled. "Okay. I'll see you all in three years."

"Definitely," Naruto assured me.

"Three years," Sasuke agreed.

"Bye-bye."

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

I shifted the backpack slightly, taking a tentative step outside Konoha. After saying all my goodbyes, I was finally setting off.

I stared at the long road before me and felt a wave of uncertainty come over me.

But it was gone in a flash.

I took another step, surer this time. And another, and another, and another.

I was doing it. I was really doing it.

I was leaving Konoha to train to get stronger. I would complete my Fūinjutsu training, perfect my new jutsu, and find my own sensei.

I was going to do this.

A smile lit up my face.

And for a while, I wouldn't let the past control me.

(Smile, smile)