*~* six *~*

I'm on spring break so I should be having more time to write and update ~Claire x
_______________

Ashton dropped his backpack next to the chair and plopped into the seat, taking out his maths textbook and a pencil. He sighed and rested his chin in his palm, tapping the pencil on the table.

He was in the library, where Luke was supposed to be. Maybe Ashton was just early? He didn't know, but stayed, waiting for the punk blonde. Seconds turned to minutes, minutes turned to hours, and Luke still didn't show.

Ashton was falling asleep, when the librarian tapped his shoulder. "We're closing, sir," she said nicely, "I'm sorry." Ashton shook his head, picking up his bag and textbook, thanking her before walking out.

Luke had stood him up.

Tears filled Ashton's eyes at the thought. 'No, get a grip, Ashton,' he thought to himself, 'This wasn't a date.' The thought only hurt him more, making his tears spill over.

"Hey Ash," Alex called perkily, cuddled up with Rian on the couch as he heard his brother come in, "How was the session?" Ashton didn't say anything, just made his way up the stairs.

"Ash?" Alex asked, turning his neck so he could see his brother. He only saw the tears and heard the small sniffle from the boy before he disappeared into the second story. Alex's jaw dropped slightly, shocked and disbelieved, turning back around and scoffing quietly.

Luke didn't even take two steps into the school before he was slammed into the lockers at full force, seeing an angry Alex pinning him up. "Get the fuck off me, Gaskarth." He seethed, seeing his teammates behind him.

"What the hell did you do to my baby brother?" Alex asked with his voice raised, shoving Luke slightly again. Luke glared at Alex. "I didn't do anything," he defended, "I didn't even show-"

Luke paused, before realization slapped him in the face. He groaned slightly, "Dammit, I forgot to meet him at the library." Alex's eyes turned dark.

"You do realize Ashton admires you," he growled, "Right?" Luke's eyes widened. "W-what?" He stuttered in shock.

"Hey," an pissed off voice yelled, "What the hell are you doing, Gaskarth?" Alex slammed Luke against the lockers again, before releasing him. Michael, Calum, and a few other friends ran to Luke's side in anger.

Seeing a crowd forming, Alex grabbed Luke's hand and dragged him down the hall and into a supply closet. He locked the door and flicked in the light, Luke taking a step back.

"My brother is a fragile boy," Alex told Luke, voice going from stern, to soft and slightly broken, "He's been through too much for being sixteen. I...all I want to do is protect him."

Luke's face softened, looking at the tears forming in Alex's face in pure shock. "He's just a little kid," Alex said weakly, "A little kid that doesn't know how to use a pacifier. Don't mess this up, Hemmings, you'll regret it if you do."

He unlocked the door and stormed off, leaving Luke in his thoughts. He hit his pierced lip, walking out of the closet. He froze, though, when he saw Ashton's back turned to him.

The boy was looking at pictures, hung up by magnets, in his locker. He let out a small sigh and a sniffle, wiping his eyes and quickly shutting his locker and rushing off to class as the bell rang.

Luke walked over slowly when he saw a picture fall off, crouching down and picking it up.

He looked at it, grazing his fingers over the inked paper of a fringe-haired Ashton and an older woman, he could only assume was his mum. Dimples poked out of Ashton's cheeks, making Luke smile small. But, the woman was in a hospital bed, and looked weak.

Luke stood and tucked the picture into his pocket, walking passed Ashton's classroom. He saw the boy through the door window, frantically writing down notes, tongue sticking out slightly. And all Luke could think of was one thing.

'He admires me?'

_______________
Soooo you saw a little of soft Alex and learned a teeny bit more of Ashton's past.

Luke kinda regrets carelessly forgetting to meet up with Ashton, huh? What'cha think so far?