Chapter 37

Her eyes slowly close, like a butterfly's wing settling. After 1 minute of the doctor monitoring her breathing and pulse she's completely under. Surprisingly, I'm not too phased by Tris' coma, I know it's for the best and she looked the happiest I've ever seen her before she was injected, she didn't have a care in the world because she knew that she has a community of friends all looking out for her. I decide to call a meeting with the gang, I lick my phone off Tris' bedside table.
I call Marlene first, after two rings she picks up.
"How is she? Is she still at the hospital? When can I see her?!" She shouts down the phone.
"Hi, I'm doing great, thanks for asking" I reply, my tone drilling with sarcasm. I hear a huff of annoyance from Marlene.
"Hi" she mumbles, grumpily.
"Tris was put in a coma for a few-"
"She's in a fucking coma?!" She screams.
"Jesus Marlene, just hear me out first"
"Okay, okay" 
"As I was saying the doctors put her in a coma because her lungs weren't coping and the consequences were fatal. But we need to talk, we all need to talk. Bring the gang to hospital in 15 minutes, floor 5, room 3."
"See you there"

The fifteen minutes were painfully slow, I mean I would talk to Tris even though she can't respond or hear me. But it'll probably only make me miss her more. To waste some time I walk down to the hospital cafeteria and order 7 coffees and 7 cakes for everyone when they arrive. As I press the button for the lift I hear a faint, echoing conversation. As the sound nears, the conversation sounds more like an argument.
"No he specifically said she's on floor 6 and room 4, I just spoke to him 10 minutes ago." I hear a girl saying.
"Not even four minute ago you said it was floor 5 and room 3!" A low male voice says.
They're here.
"I'm annoyed I have to say this but Zeke was right, Mar" I say in an upset tone. All of their eyes divert towards me,
"Hey!" They scream in unison, running towards me like lost children. Zeke bro-hugs me whereas Uri throws his arms round my stomach and squeezes, I laugh at how two brothers can be so different yet so similar. I greet the others while we all cram into the lift and stop off at floor 5, it's almost like a routine now. I know exactly where the floor 5 button is and I know how many steps from out of the lift to her room, I could do it all blindfolded. As soon as we leave the lift Marlene sprints towards room 3 like a mad woman, swinging the door open. Through double glass doors and 24 yards away we could all hear the gasp followed by the scream, then followed by the wailing. Uriah runs after to comfort her. The rest of the gang shoot me worried looks, Christina holds a tight grip on Will's arm, it almost looks like it will snap off. I slowly return to the room where Marlene is still crying and Christina looks less likely to snap Will's arm.
"How've you been holding up?" Zeke asks, as he walks to sit next to me on an empty plastic chair.
"Better. I know it's for the best so I'm just happy to see she's getting better." I gave a weak smile, Zeke returned an understanding smile as he understood I didn't want to talk about it too much. The sound of Marlene clearing her throat silences the room.
"How long is she under for?" She asks
"Just a few more days hopefully" I reply
"And what if... What if she doesn't wake up?" Marlene whispers even though everyone could hear.
"She will wake up, I know her and I know she'll wake up." My words come out harsher than I intended.
"Okay Four, we all 'know her' so don't go around acting like you've known her for her whole life." She says, softly but still with aggression. Everyone looks taken aback by her response.
"I was just saying-" I pause and look over to Uriah, he gives me a look saying 'stop before it goes too far'.
"Okay, sorry. We all know that she'll wake up because we all know how strong she is." Everyone nods. We all look at Tris' resting body for a while, the only noise filling the room is the steady beeping of her heart monitor.
Will is the first one to break the silence.
"I'm just gonna go and get a cup of coffee, anyone want to join me?"
Everyone except me and Marlene agree. Will, Zeke, Uriah and Christina exit the room and head towards the small hospital café.

There are a few moments of slightly awkward silence between me and Marlene as we just look at Tris. She walks over and sits in the chair beside me.
"I'm sorry I snapped, I just..." She takes in a few shaky breaths before continuing.
"I just feel so protective over her, ever since I've known about Peter I feel like I need to always look out for her and be there for her."
"It's okay, I know you've known Tris way longer than I have. So I know you have a stronger relationship, you don't have to apologise." I say, smiling at her.
"I also just want to thank you for being so good to her, I was so cautious about her being with you because I just couldn't stand to see her get hurt again. But you've changed her so much and I couldn't be more thankful for bringing back the old Tris." Once Marlene had finished she wiped away the tears that had pooled up in her eyes.
"That's okay, it's the least I can do." I wrap my arm around her shoulders and give them a light comforting squeeze. We both look into each other's eyes and realise how awkward this is before bursting out laughing.
"Your a good guy Four" she says
"Cheers, you too" I joke, she pushes my arm and gives me a warning look.
The gang return from their trip with a tray of takeaway cups of coffee and pastries. We chat about how our lives besides the drama have been going and catching up on each other's gossip.

Tris' doctor abruptly walks through the doors and beckons for us all to follow him into the waiting room. Once we've sit down he switches on the small TV in the corner of the room. The screen lights up and the news starts playing, he turns up the volume and sits on a chair at the back of the room. We all look at each other confused but look back at the TV screen.
"The case of a young adult named Beatrice Prior has come to s close with the arrest of the abusers Belle and Drew Hayes as well as their father, David Hayes. This was a result of the torturing and assault of Miss Prior and is most likely related to the fact that their sibling/son, Peter Hayes, had abused Miss Prior for several years. The three were sentenced to an average of 10 years in a medium security prison. We wish Miss Prior all the best in her recovery." The screen went blank as the doctor turned the TV off. I stared at the black screen trying to process the information I have just received. We all start cheering, whooping and clapping. I stand up and hug Zeke and work my way round the rest of the group. Everyone else in the waiting room looks slightly scared of us but we just laugh it off.

I look back to Tris' room and see her still lying there, I smile at her knowing that there is no reason for her to be afraid anymore.

Omfg 50k! This is huge! I never ever in a million years thought that this story would get to 10k let alone 50k! Thank you so much I am so grateful for every view, every vote and every comment. Sorry for the slow updates the last few months have been busy as hell so as promised I am trying to write as many chapters in my spare time. Until next time...
Be Brave