Chapter 35

I AM CHANGING THE BOOK COVER, SO LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK

Tris

The smell of bleach and hand sanitizer is overwhelming, I squint my eyes as the harsh light sipping through my closed eyelids. I can hear a distant beeping, keeping a steady slow rhythm. I feel powerless and heavy, like someone has placed a ton of bricks over my legs, my lungs, every inch of my body. My eyes slowly begin to blink rapidly, desperate to know where I am. The weight of my eyelids decreases the more I blink and my vision becomes clearer.

There are four white walls surrounding me, the same four white walls. I am not a stranger to these four white walls. They have surrounded me many times before but it's always these same white walls. The room is clean, too clean. If anything the room made me sicker than I originally was.

Echoed muffled fills the room, a conversation. I see three, maybe four, figures standing in the hallway. I am unable to identify who they are as my vision is still as if I am looking underwater. I repeatedly blink, over and over until I can see who's who. The tall man with dark hair turns around, Tobias, I breathe a sigh of relief and my heart begins to quicken at the thought of him being here.

"Her heart rate's increasing rapidly" A woman wearing a all white comments while fiddling with a monitor that keeps making that awful beeping noise. Will someone please just turn it off.

"Tris? Tris!" Tobias runs to my side and picks up my hand and begins peppering kisses all over it as his eyes water.

"Hey" I croak, my hand rushes to my throat as I notice how dry it is. Tobias starts stumbling on his words as he fumbles for a glass and sprints to the water jug to fill it up before handing back it to. I smile at how he feels the need to protect and care for me at even the smallest of things.

"Thank you" I whisper, taking a sip of the water, the cool liquid instantly soothing my throat. I sit back, my back resting into the mountain of pillows behind me.

"What happened?" I ask,

"Well turns out you were not healthy enough to be discharged from the hospital as... well Tris you have a collapsed lung"

"What?!"

"My best guess is that this was caused by your broken rib, I've never seen such trauma to a lung like this." He holds up an x-ray scan of what looks like my lung.

"If you look at this lung here thee space between your chest cavity and the lung if filled with air causing the lung to collapse." This was so much information to take in – my head starts to get dizzy.

"Listen, I know this might be hard baby but can you remember who the doctor that discharged you was?" I tried to flick back through my memories to the day I was released, Dave? No that wasn't it. Um... Damon! No, no, no that doesn't sound familiar.

"I honestly have no clue, I'm sorry" I shuffle to the edge of the bed, closer to Tobias.

"You don't need to be sorry Tris it's just... there were no records of you having an appointment or being treated by a doctor, no records of any medical reports within the last week. Almost as if you weren't even here."

"But that's ridiculous of course I was here, you were with me!" I try to raise my voice but it's too raspy and my throat feels like sandpaper.

"No, we know. We're just trying to figure out why you were inappropriately released from here." A man in white clothing with slick brown hair, neatly parted says.

"O-oh okay" I shuffle further into the mountain of pillows and try to rewind to the time when I was in the same bed looking at the same white walls, the same four white walls, the doctor, the blond-grey hair.

"David" I interrupt Tobias' and the doctor's conversation, both their heads snap towards me.

"The doctor's name is David" I repeat, they still sit there stunned. I furrow my eyebrows as if to say 'aren't you going to do anything'. Finally, the doctor springs up and starts typing furiously on his laptop. Tobias walks over to sit in the chair by my bed.

"Thank you" he whispers after planting his lips against my hair, the sound of typing comes to an abrupt halt

"We don't have a doctor called David here, we never have in fact. I'll gather up as much information as I can but I can't promise anything." He says, walking away.

I sit up so I can lean against the headrest of my hospital bed but scream out at the immense pain in my lung, like a stabbing pain, my breaths become shorter and more labored. I can hear my loud heartbeat blocking out the shouting surrounding me. I see a middle-aged woman running towards me holding a drip and a needle, I try to protest but my body isn't moving. I feel a small prick in my hand and a cool liquid coursing through me. A mask is placed over my mouth and nose. The sharp, hot pain dies down to subtle and manageable throbs, my breathing evens out and I can begin to pick up bits of conversation.

I see the one of the doctors take Tobias outside, the doctor is talking whilst Tobias just nods, he shows minimal expression on his face, no smile, not tears just a nod.

I feel the mask being lifted off my face and the needle, leaving my body. I still lie here, paralyzed. Tobias walks back in, his face still showing no emotion; he sits down, his body slouched.

"They want to put you in a coma, a medically induced coma."

"They want to do what?!" I shout

"Your body isn't coping, your lungs aren't coping. They need to put you in a coma because if they don't the oxygen debt-" His breath hitches and he deeply exhales before continuing.

"The oxygen debt can lead to brain damage and is life-threatening" he sobs the last two words out. I know that if they do put me in a coma there is a chance I won't wake up but I don't know the possibility of that happening.

I stretch out my arms to welcome him onto my bed; he rests his head on my shoulder. His body is shaking with every shaky breath.

"I can't let them take you away from me Tris"

"I won't be gone for long, I'll wake up and be good as new. We can go for walks, eat ice cream, sit on the beach with everyone. I'll be okay" Now it was me who was crying, I have to wake up from that coma, not for my sake but for his sake. He's my other half, the macaroni to my cheese. He completes me and I complete him.

Sorry i've been gone for so long but my reasons are personal so yeah. Anyways I am getting very close to 100 followers so whoever is my 100th follower will get a very lovely shoutout.

Be Brave