■ Knocking some sense

Start from the beginning

"Good. I need to talk to you."

~¤~

I told her everything. From the deal to London trip to engagement. Everything. I   didn't leave any details as I spoke slowly, making sure she took in what I had done.

Her face went from confusion to surprise to shock to anger as I finished my story. She kept quiet for a few minutes processing all I had told her. Then, she suddenly got up from the opposite side and came over to me before grabbing my collar and lifting me. I was startled at her power as she swung her hand and gave slapped me on the right cheek.

"Oww," I groaned from the impact as she again pulled her hand back and slapped me on the other cheek as my face burned.

I deserved it. I kept quiet as she stood, fuming at me.

"What the hell are you thinking, Jared!? Why do you always mess things up when they finally start to look normal, huh!? What are you doing?" She asked, visibly irritated. I had never seen her so angry. She looked livid as fire burned in her eyes.

"I am sorry," I said dejectedly, my voice shaking.

"You are sorry? You are sorry? Goddamn you should be! Does mom and dad know?" She asked, looking murderous.

I shook my head, "Just you, Allison and Mr. Schoff and his family. It was supposed to be a private deal. The news is getting published tomorrow. Perhaps, it's already there in the news."

"Jared, you should be killed!" She said, shaking her head, calming herself down.

"I really am sorry. I don't know what should I do. I am so confused. My company will gain a lot from this project but I also love Allison very much," I croaked.

"You are an idiot and selfish piece of shit. You...I don't have words really. You know what is your main problem?" She raised her hands.

"You always take decisions when you are not in the right frame of the mind. You left for studies when you were angry on her, not bothering to listen to her and clear both of your doubts. Then you moped about it for five years until Allison returned again. Now, you suddenly get engaged to a girl for a business deal. Then you mope around hoping people around you will be there to clean your mess. Guess what? We were there the first time... but now we aren't," She spat.

"I-Its beneficial. You gotta think for the better of everyone. I can't be selfish, Hailey. Allison is my love but the company...it has given me so much. It has made me what I am today. I have the responsibility of so many people on my shoulders. You never wanted to become a part of the business so I had to take over and I have to do what is right for Grey enterprises," I explained.

"Oh, really? And you think one stupid deal will change the entire company's luck, eh? Would it kill the company if it didn't gain one project? It won't gain a profit but it won't suffer a loss too. You will lose million dollars, yes but I know the company is doing more than fine currently. Companies and projects are temporary, Jared. They won't be with you forever. But Allison is your love. She would be there beside you if you were there to receive her which you weren't," She spat, "What the hell are you trying to play at?"

"I-"

"Were you starving before this deal? Were the employees not getting their meals and clothes to wear before this deal? You were a millionaire then and you are a millionaire still, even if you don't accept the deal. The company has more than many partnerships and joint ventures. So, you don't tell me the company isn't doing well! I might not be interested in the business but I sure as hell know my statistics and data!"

"Wouldn't Dad have done the same thing?"

"Absolutely not. He loves mom and he knows his priorities. He won't ever go into a deal that jeopardizes his family's happiness. He wouldn't have taken this deal because mom matters more to him. She was there for him when he had nothing."