Chapter 22: Stay

- 15 Weeks Pregnant -

Wait.

What?

Did he just...

What?

"Say that again,"

"Marry me."

He was serious. He was actually proposing. He was watching me for reaction but I didn't have one to give. I was completely speechless.

Until I wasn't.

"I cant marry you."

His face went red, "What? Why cant you marry me?"

"Im 14!" I shouted at him, "Just because we're having a baby doesn't mean we should get married!"

"Yes it does!" He shouted back, "If anything it gives us a reason to get married!"

I shook my head, "Justin, have you thought this through? I mean, what if we have this baby and suddenly cant stand each other? What if having a child together tears us apart?"

"What if it brings us together?" He was staring at me so hard I thought his eyes would pop out of his skull, "What if after all this, we don't even want to leave each other?"

"Then we can talk about marriage then,"

He sighed, "I want to talk about it now."

I shook my head and bit my lip, "What brought this on?"

"Management is pissed. They wanted control and now they don't have it. They're worried about my image." He shrugged, "Getting married would fix that and get them off my back."

"Getting married wont fix things with them," I reached for his hands and closed the box, "If anything it will show them that they control you."

I watched him bite his lip, "I guess you're right."

"Of course I'm right," I smiled, "I'm young but I'm not stupid."

He leaned over and placed his head on my shoulder, "I don't know what to do anymore." He let out a long sigh, "I feel so stuck."

"That happens when you're having a baby." I mumbled. I knew because I felt that way too.

"I still want to marry you."

I turned my head to him and he sat up straight, "So my proposal still stands."

"I'm still 14."

He bit his cheek, "Okay, then wear the ring on your right hand. Then when you're ready to get married you can just switch it over to your left hand."

Now, I bit my cheek, "You're okay with that?"

"Yeah,"

"Even if it takes me 15 years to be ready."

"Even then. I'm willing to wait." He smiled, "Especially for you."

I bent over and gently kissed him, "Then deal."

He popped the box open again and slid the ring onto my right ring finger. The silver band wrapped perfectly around my thin finger and the gems surrounding it glistened in the sun light.

It was the first time I really saw the giant rock that was now on my finger.

"Its a big ring," I mumbled, "I didn't need something this big."

He shrugged, "When you decide to marry me, we can get something smaller if that's what you want."

I smiled at him, "I'll think about it."

He laughed and kissed me.

******

Justin was sitting on top of my legs in bed and whispering to my belly as I stared at my phone. When it buzzed in my hands and Krystal's name popped up on my screen I quickly answered.

"Hey," I perched myself up on my elbows and stared at Justin.

"You'll never believe what happened today," She began. I was watching Justin as he smooched all over my belly and before I realized it Krystal was done her story and waiting for my reply, "Earth to Serrina!"

"Sorry," I smiled, "What happened?"

"You didn't hear? Connor has gone AWOL." That got my attention, "Hes so zonked out all the time."

"How so?"

"Like, hes at school, but hes starting to fail everything. His parents even got called into the Principals office today. Everybody thinks hes getting expelled."

No way, "That's not like him,"

"I know!" She sounded very invested in the gossip, "Its crazy right? Some people are saying it cuz hes depressed over you dumping him for Justin Bieber."

Justin must have heard his name because he looked up at me and frowned. I shook my head at him and pressed my hand over his mouth to shut him up before he could say anything.

Then Krystal sighed, "I miss you, S" I could hear her voice was shaky but she was doing her best not to cry.

"I know. I miss you too," I moved my hand from Justins mouth to his hair. Playing with it was like therapy for me, "Have you seen my mom lately? Does she look healthy?"

"Your mom is fine. I saw her a few days ago." Then she sighed, "When are you coming home? We all miss you."

"Soon, I hope." I mumbled, "I have my 20 week appointment with the doctor out there so we will be back for that."

"That's so long!"

"I know," I bit my cheek, "How are you?"

I didn't need to see her to know she shrugged, "I passed my English class. Finally."

"Congrats," I laughed, "See, third times the charm."

Krystal laughed, "God, I know right?" Then I heard her mom call her for dinner, "I have to go. Ill call again soon, okay?"

"Okay, I love you. Tell Momma B I say hi."

"Will do. Tell your boyfriend that I want you home soon." She laughed, "Bye."

The line ended before I could say goodbye and my chest clenched up.

Justin reached up to my face and wiped my cheek, "Why're you crying?"

"I miss her," I let out a dry laugh and shrugged, "I want to go home soon."

He nodded, "We will." Then he sat up and flopped beside me, "But we have to talk about what we're doing after Taylor's born."

"What'd you mean?" I frowned, "My mom will help us."

"That's what I mean," He began but I cut him off.

"You don't want her to help?" I shrugged, "It will be hard for me with you working so I'm going to need her help."

"I know, but this is where I work." I realized what he was saying as he spoke, "I have to stay here."

I shook my head, "But what about us being a family?"

"You should stay here," He began then held up his hand to cut me off before I could reply, "Hear me out. If we go back to your house then it's going to be cramped. Ill have to be here for work so I'd never see Taylor. You'd be all alone out there because your mom has to work too."

I knew he was right but I didn't want to leave home. I had always wanted to live with my mom until I was 20.

But Justin had a good point.

"Our doctor is there." I had no other arguments. He had me trapped. I couldn't say no.

"There's thousands of amazing doctors out here."

I sighed and rolled onto my side, "I want my mom here for the birth."

He smiled, nodded and kissed my forehead, "Deal."

I bit my lip and took a deep breath.

Its for the best, I told myself.

All I had to do now was convince myself it was true.