Chapter 36: Karma & Car Accidents

- 28 Weeks Pregnant -

Sirens.

A lot of sirens.

My head was pounding and every muscle in my body hurt. I couldn't feel my legs. My ears were ringing. I could taste blood.

"Help," I gasped but my voice wouldn't work. I coughed and suddenly I couldn't breath. Air wouldn't go into my lungs. I gasped for air but couldn't catch any.

"Is anybody else in the car?" I heard somebody ask. I wanted to scream for them.

"Somebody help them!"

"Get the driver out."

I looked around the car and noticed all the windows on the opposite side of the car were shattered and the frame was completely bent in. We had been hit. Bad.

"Help her!" I heard the driver shout. He was alive, "She's pregnant! Her the girl!"

I remember seeing a face before my mind went blank and my eyes drooped closed.

******

I woke up when air burst into my lungs but kept my eyes closed. They hurt too much.

"It's in." I heard a man say. My vision was beyond blurry to see who it was, "Miss, can you hear me?"

I still couldn't talk.

"How long has she been down?" I heard him shout, "People! I need to know!"

Then I heard a voice I recognized.

"Do you have a fetal heartbeat yet?"

"No. I have higher priorities."

"Brain function, I know. But if she has brain function and she wakes up to find out you let her baby die then she will sue everybody in this hospital, let me promise you that."

Thank you Meghan.

"If she has any sort of brain damage-"

"If she has brain damage there is no reversing it. She won't get any worse but this baby will. Get out of my way."

"I can't do that. You don't have the authority to-"

"Move!" I could tell by her voice that she was frantic.

I must be covered in blood.

I couldn't feel anything but I heard the whooshing sound of the sonogram machine. I couldn't hear the heartbeat.

"Fuck," I heard Meghan mutter, "I need an ER. This baby needs to be stabilized."

"OR1 is being cleared now."

"Good. Prep it for a fetal surgery."

Then I was out again.

******

I couldn't move.

I couldn't open my eyes.

I couldn't talk.

But I could hear, and I could feel.

Doctors always say the people in coma's can hear and feel you in the room with them. Normally I would say thats total bullshit. But it wasn't.

I knew my Mom didn't leave the room for more than 5 minutes at a time.

I knew Justin hadn't left side the second he had seen me.

I knew Krystal came every afternoon and told me about her day.

I knew Ashley was here once a week to tell me that she was waiting for me to wake up.

I even knew the one day that Connor came. He kissed me on the forehead and told me not to die. Then he left.

I wanted to tell them I was okay. I didn't want them to worry.

I could breath now. My chest didn't burn like it did after the accident and I could feel it when they touched my feet.

Maybe that meant I wasn't paralyzed.

I shouldn't get my hopes up.

I knew Taylor was still inside me. I could feel her move every once in a while. Not much, just enough to let me know that she was okay.

One day I heard this conversation:

"You have to stay alive for me and our baby, okay?" Justin.

"She isn't going to die, Justin. She's a fighter. She always has been." My mom.

Then the room would fall silent and Justin would fall asleep holding my hand.

Another, I heard this:

"If you die on this bed I won't forgive you. Ill hate you for the rest of my life." Krystal said. Then she started to cry, "No I wouldn't." She sniffled, "You're my best friend. Don't you dare die on me."

On a different day, one of the days Ashley came in:

"Everybody at school tells me they're praying for you. Which is bull shit. most of them don't know how to pray." She laughed, "But I guess it's the thought that counts. I just wish they all didn't drag religion into it."

Then my Mom:

"You have to pull through this, baby." She sniffled, "I can't go on with my life without you." Then she sobbed for a few minutes, "No child is supposed to die before their parent." She whispered, "So you're not allowed to. Okay?" She kissed my hand.

******

Ever day Meghan came in and checked everything. I would hear her dealing with bandages and the sonogram whirring. I could hear Taylor's heartbeat.

Then another doctor would come in. He would do a bunch of tests. Run a pen up my foot, poke the tips of my fingers, shine a light in my eyes. He checked a bandage around my head too.

And nurses were always in the room. I could hear them shuffling around if I ignore al the other chatter.

And the constant beeping of my monitor.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

It made me want to punch somebody.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Serrina?" I could heard Justin's voice start to drown out the noise, "Nurse!" He shouted, "Her finger moved!"

Wait, what?

"Take a step back." The male doctor. He shined his light in my eyes then pressed his palms to mine, "Serrina, if you're awake, press against my hands."

What was happening? Was I dying?

I did my best to push against him and he laughed.

"She's responding. I want somebody here monitoring her 24/7."

Justin was panicked, "Wait, what does that mean? Is she okay?"

Then the doctor sighed and probably nodded, "She's very good. If I'm right, Ill say she should be waking up soon."

I felt Justin squeeze my hand, "Really?"

"Really."

I wanted to laugh. I was waking up.

I was waking up!

Taylor moved a little and I heard Justin laugh and place his hand over her.

"I know baby girl," He whispered, "I can't wait for mommy to see how big you're getting either."