10 - Facing Fears

There were many reasons why kissing Sunset was a mistake

There were many reasons why kissing Sunset was a mistake. Twilight could list them. More to the point, she did list them. Constantly, all the way to Canterlot. She was aware of every possible reason why it had been one of the two stupidest things she'd done in her life, right next to not immediately telling Fluttershy when she had the chance. But despite the hours she'd spent reminding herself of every reason to regret what she did, it seemed one had escaped her.

Twilight was sitting at the Canterlot train station, waiting for the train that would take her to the Crystal Empire. It wouldn't be long before it arrived, only fifteen more minutes. She could easily sit back and enjoy the fact that the mare she'd been watching didn't seem likely to notice her. She'd get on her train and feel guilty about it, but she was already full of guilt. What was a little more?

Amber Glow had been sitting in the same seat since Twilight arrived, still in her uniform from work. Occasionally she glanced towards the castle, but for the most part she just sat hunched over and stared at the floor. Even from behind, it had been easy to tell that she was distraught, and unfortunately for Twilight, she couldn't ignore a friend who was so clearly upset.

Were they friends? Did being on friendly terms with somepony for long enough eventually make them friends, even if Twilight never quite found herself comfortable being around her? She decided it was close enough, and the fact she questioned it at all did nothing but make her feel worse. She took a deep breath, then walked across the station.

"Amber?" Twilight asked, as if she had any doubt who the other pony was.

Amber bolted up and wheeled around. "Twilight? Geez, way to sneak up on me." She grinned and brushed her mane out of her eyes. Now that Twilight got a full view of her, she seemed perfectly happy. Had Amber really been sad, or had she just imagined it?

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," Twilight said. She didn't think she had been that quiet.

"No worries. So what brings you to Canterlot?"

"I'm actually on my way to the Crystal Empire," Twilight said. Mountain terrain made it difficult to lay train tracks to the Crystal Empire. However, the path from the Empire to Canterlot was fairly clear, so all traffic was routed through Canterlot.

"Ah, important princess stuff?" Amber asked.

Twilight frowned. "Something like that."

Amber winked. "I got it. Classified information. Well, I'm sure whatever it is will work out."

"Yeah, maybe." Twilight fidgeted and turned away for a moment. When she turned back, she was smiling. "I mean, yeah, you're right."

Of course Twilight knew Amber noticed her drop in composure, but she didn't say anything about it. "So how's everything going in Ponyville? Everything running smoothly with the wedding?"

"Of course," Twilight answered too quickly. She chuckled nervously. "I mean, why wouldn't it be?"

"Okay," Amber said. She was clearly growing suspicious.