05 - A Night Out

Sunset was lying awake in bed, surrounded by scattered possessions she'd long forgotten about

Sunset was lying awake in bed, surrounded by scattered possessions she'd long forgotten about. She had spent hours going through everything in her old room, losing herself to her memories. For the moment, she was letting her mind take a break from the events of the day.

A soft knock on the door brought her mind back into focus. She sat up, fixed her dress, and took a quick look in the mirror. Sure enough, her eyes were bloodshot, but there was nothing she could do about that. She answered the door and wasn't surprised to see Luna.

"Good evening, Sunset. I hope I did not wake you?"

"No, I was awake. What's up?"

Luna nodded. "Amber and I were wondering if you'd like to accompany us to a moonlit art exhibit. I have committed myself to make a small appearance, but have much to do elsewhere as well. Of course, if you are too tired, it is understandable, but I speak for both of us when I say we would very much enjoy your presence, as otherwise Amber would be left alone should she choose to remain at the event once I leave."

Sunset chuckled. "You know, I was Celestia's student for seven years, and that is still the most formal invitation I've ever heard."

Luna stared blankly for a moment before speaking in a tone of forced politeness. "Dearest Sunset Shimmer, allow me to begin by apologizing for the late hour and short notice of my request. However, as my newly appointed best friend, I would like to humbly extend an invitation for you to join myself and Miss Amber Glow for –"

"Yes, fine, I'll go to your thing."

Luna frowned and folded her ears against her head. "Sunset, I was still speaking. Surely in seven years my sister has taught you better manners than that."

"Says the pony who's thousands of years old and still a smartass."

Luna tilted her head to the side. "Smartass? Is that a human term?"

Sunset facehoofed. "Yes it is," she answered quickly, hoping she could avoid explaining what it meant. She was getting a little tired of explaining herself every time she let a human phrase slip out. Not to mention any insult with 'ass' potentially held racist undertones in a world with sapient donkeys. "Anyway, is this okay?" She gestured to her dress, wondering what Rarity would say about her wearing the same outfit she arrived in.

"Sunset, as my guest you would be permitted entry no matter what you chose to wear, if you choose to wear anything at all. As it stands, I'm sure the dress you chose to wear for Tia should be perfectly adequate by the standards of the Canterlot elite, should such a thing matter to you."

"Not really, I just didn't want to make you look bad since I'm your guest and all." Sunset shrugged. "And I didn't specifically choose this for meeting Celestia, I just always wear clothes."

"All the time? How odd," Luna said, then shrugged it off. "In any event, we can head out whenever you're ready."

Sunset glanced back to her mirror and was more or less satisfied with her reflection. "I'm ready. Let's go." She followed Luna into the hall.