07 - Homecoming

The first rays of Celestia's sun were the type of thing poets wrote sonnets about

The first rays of Celestia's sun were the type of thing poets wrote sonnets about. Gentle beams that brought warmth to the land and brought sleepy ponies into the day.

Sunset knew better. The sun shared its secret with her, one that nopony else seemed to aware of. As it gently filtered in through the window next to the bed, it only said one thing: Celestia was pissed.

As far as she could tell, there was no other explanation. Celestia was pissed, and she was specifically directing her fury at none other than Sunset herself.

She sat up and groaned, letting the night before replay in her head. She found no noticeable gaps in her memory, so she decided she must be doing pretty good. Aside from the obvious, of course. She turned to see Amber was still asleep next to her. With a sigh, she allowed herself to fall back on the bed.

'What am I going to do now?' Sunset wondered, although she knew there was really only one option. She had to wake Amber up and talk about what happened. She tried to collect her own thoughts about it, but her aching head made that difficult.

She decided that even after the night they'd spent together, she'd still be more comfortable having that conversation clothed. Sighing again, she began climbing out of bed when her shifting caused the pegasus to stir.

Sunset froze in place, not sure if she was ready for the inevitable conversation. She knew it was too late when Amber let out a groan. "Luna, I'm sick. Take care of me..."

Sunset pulled the covers back over herself. "Sorry, not likely."

Amber bolted up at the sound of Sunset's voice, but then promptly fell back down. "Oh... Why did I think that was a good idea?"

Sunset wasn't sure how to even begin the conversation. She decided it would be okay to put it off a little bit. "So, uh... coffee?"

Amber groaned in response.

Deciding she was being absolutely ridiculous, Sunset pulled off the covers and stepped out of bed. While she assembled her dress, she couldn't help but regret her choice of clothing. Like many of the dresses Rarity made, it was a full ensemble, made up of multiple pieces interwoven just so. At the moment, Sunset was sure this meant Rarity hated her as well. It had seemed like a minor nuisance the night before when trying to remove the dress, but trying to put it back on felt like an ordeal.

"Do you know what happened to that lacy thing?" Sunset asked.

Amber groaned and gestured towards the corner.

"Thanks," Sunset said, grabbing the piece and putting it in place.

Amber risked opening one eye, which she fixed into a glare at Sunset. "Why are you so bucking cheerful?"

'Cheerful' may not have been the word Sunset would use, but she was certainly holding herself together better than Amber. To be fair, she was probably the more experienced drinker, and Amber was a fair amount smaller than her. "Because some of us can handle our booze," she said.