Humans

"You did the right thing." I try to convince Marshall back home. He plopped down into a kitchen chair, craning his neck back he stares at the ceiling.

"Then why do I feel like crap?" He closes his eyes in frustration with himself.

"You did the right thing." I reiterate, trying to convince myself at the same time, "Like, what else could you do? Say no, letting 'chaos' and whatever happen?"

He shrugs, "I just feel there's something off with her."

I come to his side and rub his shoulder, "It doesn't matter now." I pick up a pretend cup in fake 'cheers', "Here's to your mother living a long long life and her not interfering with our lives." I declare loudly.

This cracks Marshall's face into a smile as he holds up his own invisible glass, "Here here!"

I smile and hug him around his neck, "You gonna be okay?"

He shrugs me off, "Oh course. She just kinda dragged up some bad memories for me." He turns around and looks me in the eye, "I watched everyone I knew die. My dad, every human around, just, gone." He leans forward and puts his head in his hands.

"How did you even survive?" I have to wonder.

He shakes his head, "My dad protected us the best he could, barricaded us in the basement of an old house. But when that bomb hit, the shock wave was so strong it knocked me out and when I woke up, my dad was gone, literally gone, no body or anything." He takes a deep breath before continuing, "I emerged from the shelter to the new ruins of the world, without a living soul in sight."

It takes a moment for me to process all of this; being lost in an entirely empty world with no one. "So every human, just dead and gone?"

"Yeah, that's what it seemed."

"You must have survived because you were a hybrid, of sorts, like Simone was human but also part evil ice wizard thing."

His ears prick up at this, "I've never thought about that," he stares at the wall but his eyes show he's focused elsewhere.

Something then clicks in my mind, sending a wave of shock through my bod, "That would have to mean I'm not... all human." Realization floods over me, like my entire existence has changed. I move to the window and look out into our surrounding cave.

Marshall comes up behind me for a hug, "No, no, no, believe me when I say you are all human, I can smell it, I can taste it." He brushes small kisses along my neck.

I ignore his gentle touch, lost in thought "I don't know, a thousand years is a long time for non human traits to get lost over." I say trying to think this through. I never really stop and wonder about my existence in the world, I didn't dwell on it because I was happy with my life, I am happy with my life.

Marshall shakes his head, "I don't know, you really smell all human." He assures me.

"But how?!?!" I scream, suddenly over come with a hollow feeling growing in my chest, my eyes dart around the room, taking everything in very lucidly. "What am I?!" I push off from Marshall and walk out the front, slamming the door behind me in frustration.

'Why is all this happening now? What's wrong with me?' None of this ever bothered me before, I never thought about it but now that's all that's on my mind. I step out of the cave into the brightly shining setting sun. I let the warm oranges and vibrant pinks wash over me, warming my bones, letting my head clear in the gently blowing breeze.

I catch a single tear running down my face, I quickly brush it away, wiping it on my sleeve. I take a few deep breaths but my mind still runs wild, buzzing with thought. 'Humans, non-humans, the mushroom war, boom-boom baby' what happened to me, why am I here?

As soon as the last rays of light disappear behind the horizon I feel familiar hands run down my arms, "You okay, Fi?" Marshall hums as the stars begin to come out.

I step away from him and turn to face him, "I think it's time I knew where I came from." I say quickly and plainly.

I can see it takes him a moment to process this in his mind with a flash of understanding before saying, "Are you sure you want to know?" He asks gently, obviously not sure how I'd take that comment.

"Yes." I state firmly, not wanting to turn my back on my motives now. "I feel I have to know."

He comes up next to me and hugs me around the shoulders, "In that case, I'll do anything I can to help you on your journey."

I nod in appreciation and look off onto the horizon, "First, I think we need to talk to Cake."

"This is where." She points to a patch of grass between the trees.

I get down on my hands and knees to examine the ground closer. I pat the grass lightly lit by the moon's luminance. I pat harder and press my body weight on it, seeing if it's significant. "Are you sure this is it?" I ask Cake, making sure.

"Yep I'm sure. I was playing in a mud puddle over there when I saw mom pick you up and start kissing you. They announced we were taking you home and blah blah blah...." she drifts off, her eyes drooping from exhaustion.

I rub her head soothingly, "Thanks Cake, you can go now." I kiss the top of her drooping head.

"Good luck, baby," she rubs my face before stretching off into the distance.

"So now what?" Marshall pushes off the tree he was leaning on, "any leads? I Mean they did find you 21 years ago, what signs would be left?" He questions realistically.

I shake off that possibility, "There must be something," I stand up and look around. The trees pretty densely packed either side of the path clearing, creating tangible darkness only a few feet into them.

"Through the treesss"

"Did you say something Marshall?" I spin on heel and find him 20 feet away, flying above the tree line to get a better look; and doesn't even notice my call.

"Through the treessss" Another whisper in my ear, soft as the wind.

"Hello?" I call quietly, "Who are you, is someone there?" My hand hovers over the handle of my sword.

"The treeessss," it whispers again, making the hair on the back of my neck stand up as it beckons.

I take a step towards them in curiosity, gazing deep into the wood. "What do you want?" I ask in a hushed voice. Then a cool stream of air seems to wrap around my body, curling up my leg and ending chills down my spine. The voice laughs, it's familiar but I can't place it.

The air just about curls around my neck when I scream and begin thrashing my sword around at the air around me; trying to get whatever off of me.

"Fi!" I swing around and end up pointing my sword at Marshall's chest, "Fi," he says calmly and I drop my sword from my hands at the thought of what I almost did.

"I'm sorry," I gasp, crumpling to the ground by my sword.

Marshall kneels down next to me and puts his arm around my shoulders, "Are you okay? What happened?" He asks and checks our perimeter for any immediate danger.

I just stare at the ground for a moment, kinda lost in what just happened, "I'm, I'm fine." I muster up, "I think I just got spooked for a second." I say, hoping that it's the truth.

He nods and helps me up, putting my sword back in its hold, "I think that's enough research for the night. We should head home."

I nod slightly, in agreement, and he scoops me up and flies us home for the night.

(I just want to thank you all again for being paitent for the updates. so the chapters might be shorter and stuff but i believe that you guys will stick with me. School's already hard but i know how much this means to you guys and i'll do my best :) love you