Marshall Who?

Peppermint Maid stood with me behind the closed double doors, waiting for the people to be settled outside. "Where's Cake?" I ask, thinking she would be the one to walk me down the aisle when I got married.

"We'll have cake later." she insists

"No, not cake, Cake, like my sister, Cake?"

"Oh! She's out there, in the audience." she says and I hear the wedding march music begin outside. "It's time malady." and before I could say a word she opens the doors and gives me a slight nudge down the aisle.

Afternoon sun blinds me as I search the audience for Cake, not seeing her, not even anyone I really know, just mostly candy citizens and surprisingly a lot of banana guards.

I move along to the beat; step after step I make my way down the short aisle. My eyes finally graze across Gumball's glance and all my worries melt away. His light pink suit hugs him all the right places and his smile just shines like a beacon for me to follow to him, but somehow seems weary.

I step up and take his hands and face the altar. The minister looks at me confused for a moment but then continues to the ceremony. "Dear friends and family, we are gathered here today to witness and celebrate the union of Prince Gumball of the Candy Kingdom and Miss. Fionna the Human in marriage."

I get lost in Gumball's eyes and the minister catches me off guard, "What?" I ask, startled.

"Do you take..."

"Yes! Oh, I do." I laugh at my own eagerness.

He nods, "I now pronounce you husband and wife."

I lean in and kiss Gumball, our lips only touching for a second before the music starts playing again and he leads me back into the castle.

He leads me to his, our, room and plops me down on the bed. "So now what?" I inquire.

"I go back to my lab." He grabs some fresh clothes and goes in the bathroom to change.

I'm taken back a moment, "oh, okay. What should I do then?"

He comes back out in his lab coat and casual clothes and shrugs, "whatever, as long as you don't leave the castle."

This news is exciting but unsettling at the same time, "I can't leave? What about to adventure with Cake?"

"Huh?" He looks over his shoulder before leaving, "oh uh, Cake is coming over later. We'll talk about it then." He promises and steps out of the room, leaving me alone.

Cake came over for dinner, I run to hug her which she accepts but seems very stiff. "Cake, I didn't see you at the wedding, what happened?"

We sit down next to each other as some servants bring out the first course. "Uh, I was there, I ended up in the back. You were beautiful, baby."

This upsets me a bit, "but shouldn't my own sis..."

She shrinks down and sits right in my ear "Fionna, are you okay baby? What happened to Marshall? How did this happen?"

"What are you talking about? Who? And what?" I ask, and I instantly get a headache.

"Hey!" I look up to a supervising banana guard, shaking himself awake. "Where'd the cat go?" He asks drowsily.

"Tell him I left. Then excuse yourself to go to the bathroom." Cake whispers in my ear.

I nod slightly, "She wasn't feeling bad, I mean good, and left early. I'm going to the bathroom." I blurt out before he has a chance to respond and scamper off.

I run in and lock the door behind me; Cake jumps out and into my hand. "What the shmubs is going on, Cake?" I demand.

"I don't exactly know, where's Marshall? Is he okay?" She asks.