Be There

Cake woke up later to find us lying on the floor together in the treasure room. I could see in her eyes she couldn't decide whether to be mad at Marshall or not. She seemed to decide to be both.

"How dare you leave her alone for so long, do you have any idea what you've missed? Done to her?" She pushes him back against the wall, Marshall seemingly overwhelmed by her coming at him, a tiny bit of fear in his eyes.

"I'm sorry!" He exclaims anytime he can get a word in, becoming more genuine each time.

Cake begins to soften, she looks back at me and sadness comes over her, "I'm sorry too, Marshall." She hugs him tight. My eyes lock with his over Cake's shoulder, an expression of confusion prominent on his face. I throw back my own confused face, suggesting that Cake's lost it; He seems to agree and hugs her back.

Cake then leaves us be, not directly letting the 'miscarriage' bomb drop to my luck.

I had thought about telling Marshall about the miscarriage, played scenario after scenario in my head, none of them really turning out nicely. Why should both of us suffer with the loss? I decided Marshall will never know.

"Where are we going to live?" Marshall interrupts my train of thought.

I look up at him, "We're welcome to stay here as long as we need until we find a place." I say, not really in the mood to move or think about the future, knowing now that every moment is uncertain.

Marshall seems to catch my drift, settling me deeper into his arms, "Okay, we'll settle here for a while, it will take a while to find a place any way." He stands up, taking me in his arms and heads for the ladder, "We can’t just sit around here all day, lets at least-"

There's a knock at the door.

Knowing the sun is well risen in the sky by now, I wiggle free from Marshall's hold on me and make my way to the door. Before I open it I turn to Marshall, "Go on up, I don't want the sun to get you." He nods and heads upstairs.

I turn the handle, opening the door to reveal Flame Prince, "Hey," he sounds caught off guard, probably not expecting me to answer the door, "I just wanted to come by and see how you're doing." He says concerned.

I panic just a little inside, knowing Marshall can hear us clear as day even though out of the room. I choose my words carefully, "I'm, I'm fine, why wouldn't I be?" I stutter a bit, trying to hint with my eyes that he should go.

He doesn't catch on, clearly a bit confused, "Fionna, I know you want to forget but suppressing it won’t do you any good, trust me-"

"Marshall's back." I spit out, changing the subject.

Emotions flash across his face, confusion, sadness, others that went by too fast for me to see. "R-really?" He questions, his eyes gaze past me, "Can I talk to him?" He steps forward into the house.

"Ah no, actually, ow!" I move to hold him back from entering, forgetting he's the FLAME prince, I burn my hand on his chest for a fleeting moment.

I feel a 'whoosh' of air behind me and the door slams shut in between FP and me. In the same second my hand is in Marshall's and he's examining my burn. "It's not that bad." I reassure him, trying to pull my hand back, but he holds it steady.

A knock is heard at the door, and a voice, "Fionna? Fionna?" FP calls from outside.

"Go upstairs," Marshall instructs, leading me to the ladder.

I resist, "What are you going to do to him? He did nothing wrong." I defend.

He shakes his head, "I'm just going to talk with him, I swear" he smirks and holds out his pinky for the promise.