Chapter Fourteen

Fourteen

I watched her look around nervously and I heard her clear her throat. She had something important to say, I could tell because she was fidgeting with her hands.

I watched her move from the doorway and onto the only chair in my room. She fidgeted with her hands some more, I could tell she was grappling with something.

Halie took an intake of breath and looked up at me with wide, brown eyes, “I miss you.”

I didn’t know what to say.

“And, well. I want to be friends again,” Halie continued.

“Sounds good to me,” I shrugged and looked out the window.

“It’s… it’s not that simple,” she said.

“Oh?” I asked her.

“I don’t really want to share you…” she sad quietly and looked at the floor. “It’s hard enough that I had to deal with Monday…”

“And?” I asked, slightly irritated. She doesn’t own me; she can’t just go around saying ‘mine’ to anyone that wants to be my friend… or is already my friend.

“Well, now Charlie’s in the mix,” Halie said and looked up at me.

“So what?” I asked, annoyance biting at my tongue.

Halie sighed and looked away, “You want to be my friend again right?”

I rolled my eyes, “Yes, I do. Now out with it Halie.”

“BreakupwithCharlie,” she said quickly.

I gasped, “What did you just say?”

“I want you to break up with Charlie,” she told me. “I hate sharing you with Monday enough, but now I have to share you with Charlie? My own brother? There’s no way that’s going to happen.”

I groaned, “Halie.”

“What?”

“I’m not going to do that,” I sighed.

“Why not?” Halie asked and shot up out of her chair.

“Because I love him!” I shouted back.

“You don’t even remember him, let alone love him!” she shouted, exasperated.

“Actually,” I said calmly, “I do remember him. I got my memory back just ten minutes ago. I do love him; you have no right to say that I don’t love him.”

“You don’t even know what love is,” she spat.

“See Halie? This is the shit you do that makes me glad we aren’t friends anymore. You’re possessive and selfish and a shitty friend,” I growled at her.

“Shitty friend? Shitty friend?!” She screamed at me. “I went to come save you at the game!”

“Yeah right. You went to ‘save’ Charlie,” I rolled my eyes. “I’m not that stupid, Halie.”

“Fuck you,” she snapped.

“A real friend wouldn’t be insulting me like this,” I said and turned my head away from her. “You expect me to be your friend again after you say all of that stuff to me. I may not show it, but it hurts my feelings.”

There was no response,

I looked back at her, “I love Charlie with my whole heart, there’s no way I’m going to abandon him for a girl who insults me all the time. I don’t care if we used to be best friends, that’s just not how I am.”

She glared at me.

“This time, you don’t get what you want,” I said.

“This time?” Halie spat.

“Yes, this time. You get everything you want Halie, I did everything for you. I went out of my way for you when you were sick. I brought you soup multiple times. And when you were sad and crying? I would always be there with ice cream and tissues. And when you were so angry you wanted to kill someone? Well I was there for you and we screamed at the top of our lungs until our voices gave out. I’ve always done stuff for you, Halie, but I never got anything in return.”

She didn’t say anything.

“And so now, when I want to be with someone who makes me happy, actually happy since my mom died, you’re telling me to give it up?” I said hysterically. “Do you know how many times I’ve actually smiled my real smile since my mom died? I never did until Charlie. And you want to take this happiness away from me? You want to get rid of my blissful state just because I’m not there for you as often as I was? No, Halie. No.”

Halie was looking at the ground and biting her lower lip.

“I’m not going to sacrifice my happiness to make you happy Halie,” I said.

“I’m feeling replaced, okay? Not just by Monday anymore, I’m being replaced by Charlie-”

“Oh shut up Halie! Charlie is my boyfriend; I share things with you that I don’t plan on telling Charlie for years- maybe even ever! And Monday? You’re seriously going to play that card on me? I have more than one best friend, I’ve known her longer, but you and I were closer. I get to see you every day and I get to see her once a month,” I said. “You need to get over the fact that you have to share me.”

Halie sucked on her tooth and said, “Maybe it’s a good thing we aren’t friends anymore.”

“Everything happens for a reason,” I said coldly.

Halie walked out of the room.

If I had known that this was the last time I was ever to talk to Halie, things would have gone a lot differently. But I couldn’t tell the future.

**Author's note**

I'm sorry it has taken me sooooooo long to upload, I've been really busy. I'm also sorry that this chapter is so short, I just wanted to let you guys know that I haven't given up on this story so I gave you a short chapter. Once again, I'm soooooooooooo sorry :(

ClassyBrown hablan adios.