15|OLD ENEMIES

James was kneeling on the floor, with Bobo the porcupine in his hands. What was he missing? Where were they? How did they just disappear? Lily wouldn't just leave, without telling him. How did he not no-

A hand landed on his shoulder.

"James, mate," he heard Sirius say, "what's going on?"

"I can't find them," James croaked, feeling as though he was going to fall apart any moment.

"Oh come on Prongs," Sirius said, "there must be a completely normal explanation, why they aren't here."

"You're right," James said trying to think positive, "she must have gone outside for some fresh air."

"Or maybe she decided to clean the chimney," Sirius suggested.

"Yeah, or maybe-" James started

"Or maybe she needs her good for nothing husband to rescue her."

James and Sirius looked at each other. They knew the owner of the voice too well. The little skinny boy with greasy black hair that they used to tease and prank. The little boy who was always looking at Lily. The little boy, always stuck behind his cauldron. The little boy, who has now joined Lord Voldemort in his 'little' circle of Death Eaters. In fact he was no little boy anymore. He was a tall hooded figure, standing behind their backs, probably trying to avenge his traumatic childhood.

"Snape," James hissed while turning around, pulling his wand out. "What do you want?"

"Nevermind that!" Sirius exclaimed. "How did you get into my house?"

"Believe me, I too am ashamed of standing on this floor and staring at your pathetic faces, but I am here to give you the whereabouts of Lily Evans and I suggest you listen," Snape said calmly, while James gave him an angry look when he heard his wife's maiden name. He wanted to shout, that he doesn't believe him, but...

"Oh, we are aware of her whereabouts," Sirius said, with his chin raised high. Snape raised his eyebrows.

"Are you really?" He asked, with a little grin, as though he was talking to a child.

"Yes," Sirius said, with his head still raised. "She is cleaning my chimney."

"That's odd," Snape said, "I don't see her anywhere, or hear her, or notice any proof that she is cleaning your little chimney."

"My chimney is much bigger tha-" Sirius started, but James made him stop.

"Okay, we have no proof, but neither do you, so why should we believe you?"

"Well as a matter of fact, I do have proof," Snape told him and pulled the necklace out of his pocket. He threw it in front of James, whose eyes widened. He dropped the porcupine on the floor in shock and knelt to pick up the necklace. 

"How...?"

"I might have found it under Goyle's chimney," Snape said. James picked up the necklace and looked at it. He knew the necklace too well, he remembered buying it for her: it was a silver necklace, with a doe and a stag embracing each other. James turned it around and saw the word, he had engraved: Forever. 

"Okay I'm listening," he said.

"You will find them in the cellar of Goyle's manor," Snape said with a sense of urgency present in his voice. "Her son is going to be dead as soon as the Dark Lord decides to enter the manor, which could be any time, it could have been a minute ag - so, I suggest you act soon. Be invisible and try not to get into fights, or you will be overpowered. Your only job is to find them and get out as soon as possible. Do your little arrogant brains understand that?"

"My brain is not little!" Sirius protested, which caused James and Snape to look at him angrily.

"This is serious," James told him.

"He is insulting us," Sirius argued.

"Honestly why do you care? Let him insult us, you shouldn't mind that. He's telling us where to look for them, and that's should be the only thing you're taking in," James told him and Sirius looked at his feet. James turned back to Snape. "Is there anything else?"

"Perhaps just this one thing," he said. "Do not be fools. The Dark Lord knows his magic, so no alohamora is going to help you, or any other charms to be honest."

"Then how are we supposed to get in without getting attention?" Sirius asked.

"He knows his magic," Snape repeated, "but... He doesn't know muggle magic. Do you understand?"

"Muggles have no magic, that's why they are muggles," James said.

"Magic as in tricks Potter," Snape said impatiently, "How do muggles get over large fences and open locked doors?"

"They use pins and stuff," Sirius muttered.

"Exactly," Snape said. James stared at his face and for a moment, he felt as though he could detect a smirk forming on his face, but it never did. Snape turned around and disapparated. 

And he was gone. James looked at Sirius: "we need to act... Fast."

"James I'm still processing my emotions here," Sirius said, which made James sigh in frustration and anxiety. He could feel his body going numb, as his brain tried to come up with as many possibilities as possible.

"No really Sirius-"

"No really James, Snape cares!"

James couldn't help but offer him a quick smile: "not an appropriate time Padfoot, save it for later."

Hi there! 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, the next one is going to be exciting! 

QUESTION: What would you do if you had to go into a crowd of death eaters and must not get noticed? (Use you imagination!)

Please vote and comment to let me know you are still enjoying my story! 

Love,

Lizzie :)