T W E N T Y - N I N E

Start from the beginning

Fariel opened up the door and Karos left out the room with some regret and hesitation. His heart was heavy, but he has to do what must be done as Ake has to do here. He was a burden here, a very weak point to him, Karos knew. They would exploit it until he would give in to them and Karos did not want to become his Achilles heel. 

As soon as Karos' head rose, Analia's face stood in front of him. He moved his head away as she leaned in close as if to inspect him. 

"Your neck is littered with bites," Analia teased causing Karos' face to flush. 

"Good Gods, so you are into men after all, hm?" 

"Enough, Analia."

"And what about you, Fariel? Are you not littered with secrets?" Her black hair was sprawled across her face highlighting her girlish features. Never did she like to wear it down, for fear of seeming too feminine. 

"Ah, Analia, why must you try to bicker so early in the day? Do you not want to speak on more pressing matters such as the Gwasas and griffins ready to tear you limb from limb?" 

She returned his smirk with a smile of her own. 

"With you, I feel safe. It seems as if you know all that needs to be known already." 

Karos looked around and saw as Bash lagged behind. His head was down. As he looked up, he saw his eyes were filled with fear and worry. What had happened between the three of them, he wondered. Just being gone from their presence for a few hours, made him become so ignorant of the matters stemming from his group. 

"Enough with all of this," Karos interjected. "We must leave and we must be one in this."  He grabbed onto Bash's arm and tugged him further up to the group. Karos continued ahead along with Bash. He took one last look at the bickering fools before moving farther ahead of them.

"What is it, Bash?"

His auburn hair swept across his face as he shook his head.

"Tell me."

"I cannot," he whispered.

His grip tightened on his arm causing Bash's eyes to widen. 

"What is it? You must tell me. I will not have you ill at ease as we are nearing home."

"S-s-some things are better left unknown. You will sleep better that way," Bash stuttered.

"Does it have to do with Ake? You must tell me if so," Karos watched as his eyes lowered back to the ground. 

"A king does not lower his eyes. A king does not bow his head to others, Bash. A king looks straight ahead with confidence and bravery even if he feels lost and afraid." 

"I do not want to go back down there," Bash finally said as he shook. 

"As I do not. Do you think any of us is unafraid as of now?" Karos picked Bash's head up making him look at him. "We are. We all are, and deathly so. We just keep it buried and hidden deep down, never giving rise to it."

They exited the palace and was swarmed with fields of blossomed flowers. The warm air felt good against his cheeks as the sun's rays pressed down against his skin. It reminded him somewhat of Ake's burning touches and gazes. He knew he would not be without him for long. The very sun served as a constant reminder. 

"You... are not coming with us," Karos said, "You never were."

"Karos—"

"In exchange for you, they are giving us one of their own as an advisor."