Chapter 20

"So, Dave, you've been feeling upset recently?" Rose asked me calmly. I nodded.

"Your medicine hasn't been working?" She pried a little farther.

  "Uh, well that's the thing," I muttered. "I haven't been taking my medicine at all. I haven't taken it in almost seven months now,"

  Rose put her pen and notepad down and looked at me.

  "Why aren't you taking your medicine? That's supposed to help you, idiot," She didn't look angry, just a little upset.

  "I just didn't think I needed it anymore," I squandered for a bullshit excuse, but came up with nothing. Rose pinched the bridge of her nose and looked at me.

"If you get prescribed something that's supposed to help you, you keep using it, Dave," She sounded a little pissed.

  "Well, I was going to and then I just didn't. I thought I didn't need it anymore because the nightmares and stuff started to become less common. About three months ago is when I stopped sleeping normally," I confided.

  "So, maybe we should get you checked out for insomnia then?" Rose asked. I nodded quickly. She went ahead and booked an appointment, knowing that I had been kicked from my job as a musician and didn't have any money or motivation of my own.

  The appointment would be on Tuesday and Rose was going to take me. She said it was to make sure that I didn't try to skip it. She said to be ready for her to pick me up by nine in the morning.

  I planned to go, actually. I think it's about damn time I got some help and stuck to it.

***

Karkat hasn't been talking to me. Personally, I don't blame him. I did accuse him of cheating during a childish temper tantrum that was caused partially by exhaustion.

I sent him a few texts, but he hadn't replied yet. He was probably still angry at me.

You: Hey, look, I'm really sorry about what happened a few days ago.
You: It was my fault. I was acting like a brat and I was jumping to conclusions. I don't actually think that you're cheating on me. I never did.
You: And I totally get it if you want some space. Just know that I'm not angry at you. You can text or call whenever and we can hang out or something.
You: Love you.

That's all I said to him, not wanting to invade his privacy any longer. I'd already pretty much forced him to talk about things he seemed uncomfortable with and then accused him of cheating which then caused him to spill out some deep shit about him and his past. He had every right to want some space.

That didn't stop me from checking to see if he texted back every few minutes. I still thrived off of his attention and the lack of it was a bit of a strain.

But, he eventually called. I've never answered a phone so quickly.

"Hello?" I asked, trying to sound calm and collected.

"Hey," Karkat replied simply.

"Are you still angry at me?" I asked abruptly. I couldn't keep the question to myself. It took him a second to answer.

"No, I stopped being angry. I just needed time to calm down. Sorry if I made you worry or whatever," He sighed a little. He sounded tired. I imagined his body language. When he was tired, he always leaned his head on his hand.

"Oh, okay. Do you want to come over? We can cuddle and eat ice cream to make-up." I asked. Karkat paused before chuckling a little and agreeing. He said that he'd be over there with ice cream in about an hour or so. He promised to get cookies and cream, which was the only flavor that we both liked.

Karkat was at my apartment by eight, carrying ice cream, just as promised. He didn't give me a kiss when he walked in the door, but I didn't bring it up. He just sat the plastic bag on the coffee table and looked at me.

He kissed me then, making it last. His hands were warm, as always. I made sure to hold them as he held my mouth to his. When he pulled away, I pecked his forehead and brought him over to the couch where I promptly attacked him with a hug.

It felt good to have him happy and by my side again. I looked over the tattoos I'd seen a million times as I scooped ice cream into my mouth. He asked why I was looking at them, like he always did. Things were back to normal and I loved it like that.

  He kissed me again once we finished eating. I was happy that I was getting my overdose of attention. This is how I survived. I don't care how needy I seemed.

  I was still happy when he was gently going into me, luckily sober this time. Yeah, we'd had sex since we'd been together like most couples did, but he was normally drunk.

  Karkat was far more careful when he was sober. He would quietly tell me how pretty I was and how he loved me as he thrusted. As much as I love the cuteness of his drunken stupor, I also really like this side of him.

  I smiled when I climaxed. Karkat looked at me blearily before fixing a small grin on his face and kissing me again.

  I went and got the towel this time. I put a little bit of water on it, too. Karkat cleaned us up, though. He liked to do that stuff. After that, he put his body on top of mine in a cuddle on the couch. It wasn't as easy or as comfortable to get into a post-coital slumber on a couch than it is on a bed.

  On that note, I made a makeshift bed on the floor. It consisted of pillows, blankets, and me. The best type of bed, of course. Karkat came down to join me.

  It was much more comfortable. I was able to wrap around him and hold him. He held me tightly as well.

  "I love you," He whispered.

  "I love you more," I replied. Karkat just laughed a little and pressed his face into my chest.

  We fell asleep, just like that.

_____________________________________

This just in: They're still super gay for each other.

Yes. They would be that couple that has make-up sex. They would do it.

I didn't describe it in a lot of detail this time simply for the sake of the current atmosphere.

But anywho, this story is coming to a close. I mean it. I feel bad but hey. I have stuff to do. (Jk, I'm very lonely)

Alrighty, I'm gone.

~Ghostie