Prologue

Two women were sitting inside a café, talking. They don't really know each other, but every now and then, they'd find themselves in the same coffee shop, usually a few tables apart.

They haven't really spoken before today, a nod of recognition was enough most of the time.

There were no other tables available when the elderly walked in, so the younger woman waved to her and offered her an empty seat. They introduced themselves and were soon involved in meaningful conversation.

The younger woman pointed to a good looking young man, "My pride and joy," she said.

"Who is he?," the elderly woman asked.

"My son."

The older woman beamed, "PERFECT," she said, looking toward the direction of a young girl with big, beautiful eyes. "She's my granddaughter."

The two women shared a look of excitement, and love.

And then the younger of the two asked, "Do you think we could perhaps arrange for them to meet?"

They shared a smile.

"By the way, I'm Carmen. They call me Lola Mameng back there."

They held hands before the younger woman answered, "Nice to meet you, Lola Mameng."

"Ikaw? Anong pangalan mo?"

"Ay, Rosario po. Rio po ang tawag nila sa'kin."

And then they turned their attention toward the handsome young man and the beautiful young girl.

Two strangers-for now.

"His name is Richard."

"And hers, is Nicomaine."