Chapter 6

Nicole's POV

I woke up with Josh in my arms, careful not to wake him I got up and headed downstairs. I checked the time on my phone. 2am. Urgh, it’s early. I could hear Demi’s voice in the kitchen. She’s talking to someone.

“I know Dem.” That voice belong to Jennel. I don’t know how I feel about them two together. I mean the first time I met Demi I thought I was attracted to her, I mean in all honesty who wouldn’t be? Just look at her. Okay Nicole, just remember she’s your fucking teacher. And she wouldn’t want you anyway? Why wouldn’t she want me? Because you’re a child and you’ve got problems.  But so does Demi.  She doesn’t want you, get over it. Plus she's acting more like your mother.  I guess that's a point, maybe I'm not actually attracted to her, maybe I'm just craving attention from someone who cares. Wait, who said she cares?

I thought these voices had gone. The demons of my past. I guess they’ll never really leave me. You can’t undo the past after all.

“How do you feel about her though?” I heard Jennel ask. I crept to the outside of the kitchen and just listened into their conversation.

“I don’t know. I mean I feel like I’ve known her forever, she’s like family to me. I feel so over protective of her.” Demi replied.

“Do you love her?” That’s a fucking weird question. Demi let out a long sigh before answering,

“I do. I love her as if she’s my daughter. That’s how I think of her.” What?! No. You are not my mum. You will never be my mum. Fuck you. I stormed upstairs angrily and slammed my bedroom door shut. I threw my body down onto my bed and began to cry. I noticed that Josh had left my room. I must have woken him up.

I don’t know why I’m reacting like this. I mean Demi being in my life is probably one of the best things to happen to me, without her I wouldn’t be here today. But she can’t say that. She 'loves' me. Like a Mother. No, a Mother hurts their child.  There was a gentle tap on the door.

“Nicole? Can I come in?” Demi called through the door.

“NO!” I shouted back.

“I’m coming in whether you like it or not.” She said sternly with her teacher voice. She barged into my room. “What the hell was that all about?!” she said angrily. I had my face buried into my pillow so she couldn’t see my tears. I could feel my body shaking with sobs threatening to escape. I felt the bed sink a little next to me and a hand on the small of my back. “Nicole, what’s wrong?” she said, her voice a lot calmer. I shook my head. “Come on..” she said, she pulled my body up into hers and hugged me. She wiped away my tears and asked me once again. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“It's obviously something, or you wouldn't be crying like this.” She said giving me a look.

“What are we Demi?” I asked shyly.

“I don’t know Nicole.”

“This is wrong; I mean you’re my teacher. You’re not supposed to care this much.”

“It’s my job to care. A lot of people care for you, baby girl.” She said. I wiggled out of her grip and sat at the opposite side of the bed. Baby girl? What the hell?

“No they don’t. You only care because you got dragged into this mess. And I’m sorry you did. If people cared about me, they would have noticed the cuts going up and down my arms, they would have done something about how skinny I got and how my clothes had holes in them. And the bruises covering my body and the limp in my step each time my Dad beat me. People notice things sure, but they don’t care. If they cared they would’ve helped. They would've stopped it before it got this far.” I said simply.