Chapter 68

(In the morning, Sherlock’s POV: )

Alice sat up quickly, breathing heavily and sweat beading on her forehead. She was supporting herself with her arms behind her as she tried to catch her breath.

“John is going to ask you.” I started, looking at her from the chair.

“I’m not telling him.” She answered inbetween breaths. She wiped the sweat off her forehead and finally began to calm.

“He won’t accept that.”

“Don’t care. He’s not knowing.”

“What’d you dream about? You woke John.” I asked, opening my eye a crack but not enough for her to see me do so. She froze for a moment.

“My past.” She said quietly, sitting on the edge of the bed and rubbing her forehead.

“Who’s ‘Jacobs’.” I said, sounding like it was more of a statement than a question.

“Part of my past.”

“How come you didn’t react when I said John was my only friend?” I questioned. She was surprised by the question.

“Because John is your friend. I am nothing more than an add-on.” She replied casually. I was a little hurt at the fact that she thought that I didn’t have room for two friends.

“I- I didn’t mean exactly what I said.” I replied. She looked at me.

“It’s okay, Sherlock. I know how you work. I’m perfectly fine with being an unspoken friend.” She assured. I didn’t like that, but I hid it. She got up and went to shower before I could say anything else. As soon as she was in there, I swiped her mobile and looked at the messages from the anonymous number. I sent a message on my behalf to him, and then deleted it after it sent. I sat back down, feeling pleased with myself.

(DAY TIME, CROSS KEYS INN, SHERLOCK’S POV: )

John was sitting at one of the outdoor tables with Alice as I was getting our drinks. Alice was doing very well in her acting, as if I wasn’t me, I would be completely fooled and would think that she had no problems whatsoever. I exited the pub and went out as Billy walked away from giving them a vegetarian equivalent of a hearty English breakfast. I expertly brought over three mugs, balancing them, ‘like a boss’ as Alice would say, and put two down on the table. Alice happily took her coffee and practically swam in it.

“So they didn’t have it put down, then – the dog.” I began.

“Obviously.” He began, mocking me subtly. “Suppose they just couldn’t bring themselves to do it.” He finished, tucking into his breakfast as I stood next to him and drank my coffee in a much more respectable manner than Alice.

“I see.” I tried.

“No you don’t.” Alice argued, smiling and taking John’s comment.