Chapter 49

(Third person POV: )

 Sometime later Mycroft had brought the three to his residence/office. The older brother sat at the dining table with Irene seated opposite him. Sherlock was in the armchair near the fireplace a few yards away, half turned away from the pair of them. The fingers on his right hand were repeatedly clenching as he listened to the other two speak. Alice was at the head of the table, bent over her mobile and pretending to not care. They all knew how much she did though. Mycroft pointed down at the camera phone which was lying on the table in front of him. There was no aggression or threat in his voice as he spoke.

 “We have people who can get into this.” He said calmly.

 “I tested that theory for you. I let Sherlock Holmes try it for six months.” Irene replied smugly. Sherlock closed his eyes briefly in pain. Alice quickly looked up at him. “Sherlock, dear, tell him what you found when you X-rayed my camera phone.” Irene requested. Sherlock glared and then looked at Alice pointedly. She sighed and rolled her head back.

 “There are four additional units wired inside the casing, probably containing acid or a small amount of explosive.” She explained flatly. Mycroft lowered his head into his hand in despair. “Any attempt to open the casing will burn the hard drive.” She added.

 “Explosive.” She looked at Mycroft. “It’s more me.”

 “Some data is always recoverable.” Mycroft said hopefully, lifting his head and looking at her again. Alice scoffed.

 “Take that risk?” Irene tested.

 “You have a passcode to open this. I deeply regret to say we have people who can extract it from you.” Mycroft said, sounding truly regretful.

 “Sherlock?” Irene asked calmly.

 “There will be two passcodes: one to open the phone, one to burn the drive. Even under duress you can’t know which one she’s given you and there will be no point in a second attempt.” Sherlock sighed.

 “He’s good, isn’t he? I should have him on a leash – in fact, I might.” Irene flirted. Alice scowled in disgust and gave Irene the finger when she thought no one was looking. Irene gazed at Sherlock intensely but he remained turned away from her and couldn’t see her expression much to Alice’s relief.

 “We destroy this, then. No-one has the information.” Mycroft reasoned.

 “Fine. Good idea... unless there are lives of British citizens depending on the information you’re about to burn.” Irene threatened.

 “Are there?” Alice asked, stealing Mycroft’s question.

 “Telling you would be playing fair. I’m not playing anymore.” She said savagely. She reached into her handbag on the table in front of her and took out an envelope which she pushed across the table to Mycroft. “A list of my requests; and some ideas about my protection once they’re granted.” Irene explained. Mycroft took the sheet of paper from the envelope and started to unfold it. “I’d say it wouldn’t blow much of a hole in the wealth of the nation – but then I’d be lying.” He raised his eyebrows in amazement as he read through the demands she has listed. “I imagine you’d like to sleep on it.”

 “Thank you, yes.” Mycroft said, still reading through them.

 “Too bad.” Irene said. He looked up at her. In the armchair, Sherlock snorted in almost silent amusement. Alice smiled at the same time he snorted.  “Off you pop and talk to people.” Irene added, still talking to the older brother. Sighing, Mycroft sank back in his chair.