Chapter 38

(STILL Alice’s POV: )

 I pulled out my pistol and waited to for the men to come back, watching Irene carefully. She went over to the safe and stared into it wide-eyed. I heard five gunshots come from outside and I smirked.

 “For g*d’s sake!” I heard John shout.

 “Oh shut up. It’s quick.” Sherlock replied. He came back into the sitting room as Irene turned around from the safe.

 “Check the rest of the house. See how they got in.” Sherlock told John.  As John headed off, Sherlock took the item, which he had just stolen from the safe, out of his pocket and tossed it nonchalantly into the air.

 “Well, that’s the knighthood in the bag.” Sherlock said happily. I smiled at his inside joke.

 “Ah. And that’s mine.” Irene said, hiding urgency in her voice. She held out her hand. Ignoring her, Sherlock switched on the security lock on the phone he was holding. It required four letters or numbers to activate it and it had ‘I AM’ above the four spaces and ‘LOCKED’ below them. I raised my eyebrows.

 “All the photographs are on here, I presume.” Sherlock said.

 “I have copies, of course.” Irene bluffed.

 “No you don’t. You’ll have permanently disabled any kind of uplink or connection. Unless the contents of this phone are provably unique, you wouldn’t be able to sell them.” I corrected.

 “Who said I’m selling?” She questioned, lowering her hand.

 “Well, why would they be interested? Whatever’s on the phone, it’s clearly not just photographs.” Sherlock reasoned, looking at the dead and unconscious bodies lying on the floor.

 “That camera phone is my life, Mr. Holmes. I’d die before I let you take it.” Irene walked closer and held her hand out again. “It’s my protection.”

 “Sherlock!” John called out. I turned my head but didn’t leave.

 “It was.” Sherlock corrected, pulling the phone back and looking at Irene pointedly. He turned and left the room with me following behind. She chased after us. Upstairs in the bedroom, John was kneeling over the silent figure of Kate lying on the floor. Putting his ear to her mouth to check her breathing, he straightened up and took her pulse. Standing up, he went into the en suite bathroom and looked at the open window in there. Sherlock and I came into (me in lead... I was eager. Don’t judge) the bedroom followed by Irene.

 “Must have come in this way.” John thought out loud.

 “Clearly.” Sherlock said sarcastically. I smacked his arm with the back of my hand and tsked. We went into the bathroom to look out of the window as Irene walked anxiously towards Kate.

 “It’s all right. She’s just out cold.” John reassured.

 “Well, god knows she’s used to that. There’s a back door. Better check it, Doctor Watson.” She said, sounding relieved. I felt her eyes on me as I looked out the bathroom window and I turned back around quickly. Sherlock came out of the bathroom and nodded to John.

 “Sure.” John confirmed, leaving the room as Irene went over to the dressing table, opened a drawer and covertly took a syringe out of it. Sherlock was looking at the camera phone and didn’t notice. I narrowed my eyes and pretended to not notice, electing to tell Sherlock at the nearest opportunity.

 “You’re very calm.” Irene observed, looking round at him blankly.

 “Well, your booby trap did just kill a man.” Sherlock reasoned.

 “He would have killed me. It was self defence in advance.” Irene said pointedly. I smiled.

 “Okay, I’m gonna have to write that down.” I said, chuckling lightly. Walking across to Sherlock, Irene stroked her hand down Sherlocks left arm. I frowned. As he looked down at her hand she stepped around behind him and stabbed the syringe into his right arm. He gasped and spun around, trying to grab at it. I ran towards him, pulling out my pistol and calling out.

 “John!!” I shouted urgently.

 “What? What is that? What...?” He stammered. As his face turned towards her again, she slapped him hard. He stumbled and fell to the floor. She held out her hand to him and I came up to her, putting the pistol to her neck and trying to hold her back, but she was insistent.

 “Give it to me. Now. Give it to me.” She stressed, struggling against me.

 “Stop. What did you do to him?” I asked urgently. Grunting, Sherlock tried to get back to his feet. I could tell by his eyes that his vision was going fuzzy.

 “No.” Sherlock said, sounding like a child. Before I could pull Irene back any more, she injected the rest of the chemical in the syringe into me. I cried out and fired my pistol, but missing by a mile and shooting the mirror. I stumbled down from her knocking me off balance. I landed on my back next to Sherlock.

 “Give it to me.” Irene repeated, straightening herself after my attack. Starting to lose control of his muscles, Sherlock slumped to his hands and knees, still holding onto the phone. I rolled over and tried to get back up, but my muscles were failing as well.

 “No.” Sherlock said stubbornly.

 “Oh, for goodness’ sake.” Irene said tiredly.  She picked up her riding crop from the dressing table and wielded it at him. “Drop it.” She commanded. Sherlock continued trying to struggle to his feet next to me. I had quit struggling, knowing that I couldn’t do anything and watched, wincing and trying to keep my eyes open.  “I...” She whipped him “...said...” she thrashed him again. “...drop it.” She striked him a third time and he fell to the floor, unintentionally dropping the phone. Sherlock nearly dropped on top of me. “Ah. Thank you, dear.” She thanked, satisfied. As he lied on his back unable to move, she picked up the phone and typed on it, standing over Sherlock and looking down at us smugly. “Now tell that sweet little posh thing the pictures are safe with me. They’re not for blackmail, just for insurance.” She instructed.  She put the phone into the pocket of Sherlock’s coat which she was still wearing. “Besides, I might want to see her again.” She added. Grunting, Sherlock tried to get up. Irene pressed him back down to the floor with the end of her crop and my eyes finally closed. I sighed unhappily and tried to stay awake long enough to hear the rest.  “Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. It’s been a pleasure. Don’t spoil it.” Irene said happily. I felt something brush across my cheek.  “Goodnight, Mr. Sherlock Holmes. Miss Alice White.” I heard her walk away and John came in.

 “Jes*s. What are you doing!?” John exclaimed, coming closer to us. I moaned a little bit, trying to talk to him.

“They’ll sleep for a few hours. Make sure they don’t choke on their own vomit. It makes for a very unattractive corpse.”

 “What’s this? What have you given them? Sherlock! Alice!” John questioned, picking up the syringe.

 “They’ll be fine. I’ve used it on loads of my friends.” Irene assured comically.

 “Sherlock, can you hear me?” John asked, kneeling down to Sherlock I assumed.

 “You know, I was wrong about him. He did know where to look.” Irene complimented.

 “For what? What are you talking about?” John asked, getting up and facing her.

 “The key code to my safe.” She explained happily.

 “What was it?” John asked again. She paused. I assumed she looked at Sherlock, who was barely conscious but still trying in vain to get up next to me.

 “Shall I tell him?” She asked, knowing perfectly well he couldn’t answer. After a moment of silence I heard sirens. “My measurements.” She told John. John hurried over to the bathroom window and looked out while Sherlock still tried vainly to lift himself up but continued to fall back helplessly. With that, he passed out, and I allowed myself to as well, just hoping I would have some decent dreams.

I like this chapter, but you'll like the next one more =) *sings* Shalice fluff! Hehe =3 Enjoy, vote, comment fun peoples!! =D