Epilogue

Epilogue

I let him embrace me, allowing him to pull me into his warm body. I felt his heartbeat, I could smell his cinnamon scent, could taste his spicy lips against mine. He smiled, his eyes relieved to see me again, to finally hold me in his own arms, to be with me. I bit my lip in nervousness.

“Why did you leave?”

His voice was soft, making my heart warm up, making my eyes moisten with tears. How could I tell him? How could I tell him that I was leaving? It wasn’t fair to him, he deserved better, deserved for someone to love him, to stay with him forever. My love for him was undoubting, stronger than the fiercest tiger, yet weaker than the toughest commitment.

I glanced back towards the humans, watching as they strolled past below in the streets, oblivious of the war that had just ended. They were lucky, that’s what I always thought. The humans got their own freewill, their own lives, not to be told what to do and who to believe, but allowed to make their own choices.

But, that was the problem. Sometimes the choices you made weren’t the right ones, they got you into trouble like bringing about world disasters, famine, hardship and sometimes even war. I glanced back at the demon that made my lips curve into a smile, that made my breathing hitch and that made me fall in love.

He smiled, before pressing his hot lips against mine again, this time taking time to savour the moment, almost knowing without me telling him that this would be the last time we would see each other. He pulled away, giving me an intimate caress on the cheek before whispering again.

“Why did you leave?”

I ignored the question, glancing towards the sun, which had suddenly burst through the clouds, “I’m pregnant,” I whispered, “and…I’m leaving”.

The demon glanced at me, determination in his crimson red eyes, “Not without me you’re not”.